What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, February 16, 2008

15 down with 15 to go...

Woke up this morning extremely exhausted. More nightmares. Good grief. I have been pretty restless at night and my first thoughts when I got out of bed were that this run was going to suck. I had my final 'long' run before the marathon. 15 miles. Checked the weather, 32 and sunny. Headed out at 7:30am and the air was crisp. Had some trouble breathing and couldn't find a rhythm. Talk about dog tired!

I have a theory that within the first 7 minutes of a run, I am pretty sure I know how it's going to go down. My HR was all over the place, mostly in the high 160's right off the bat. I was hoping to run under 3:25 today. Don't get me wrong, the times I am shooting for lately are a lot faster than the past but I want to believe I am getting FAST, not just faster. At any rate, 7 minutes came and went and I felt like poop. Got to the turn-around at 1:13, not bad...not bad.

Ok, to run a 3:25, I needed a negative split. I'm warmed up. I can do this. I felt like I was dragging though and when I got to within 2 or so?!? miles of my house and looked at my watch, I saw 158. Sweet, I can come in way under 2:25. Wait, that's my heart rate. Crap. 2:08...that's more like it. At this moment, 1 thought pops into my head. HTFU. A wise English woman gave this advice to me when she's having a not so stellar run mentally...Harden The F**k Up. I forget about every ache and pain and just focus. One step at a time, thankfully my Ipod synched in with shuffling really fast and fun songs. I got home and my time was 2:24:56. Negative split. Sweet. Average HR 161. Not good. I really need to work on bringing that sucker down. And that dang strap completely chaffed my chest. ARGH!

So, 15 miles down with 15 days to go. I'm psyched but in DESPERATE need of a massage.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Love the HTFU! I am going to borrow that. I felt your pain today. I had a rough run as well. I truly do think we are twins. We always seem to be synchronized. Ha ha!

Jacqueline Riley said...

Kristina ......I had a black polo shirt with HTFU embroidered on it ...I'll bring it to Boulder in May !

Mike said...

I can't even focus on what you wrote because that "dog tired" dog picture is so funny and cute I can't stop laughing...:)