What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pre-work run, Post-work caucus


So, with some serious difficulty, I managed to get my butt out of bed at 4:40am to get to the gym by 5. It was brutal as I have not done a pre-work run since the fall ie. WARM WEATHER. Today was one of those days that I wish I had the baseball alarm clock so I could have simply rocketed it at the wall.

I was still in a light REM stage when I got to the gym. The only cool thing about running indoors was that I got to wear a Skirt! I had every intention of running speedwork (8 to 10 1/4 mile repeats at 7.8mph and higher) but opted for my own version of it. 1 mile warmup at 6.2mph, followed by 1 mile at 7mph, 1/4 cooldown, 1 mile at 7.2mph, 1/4 cooldown, then 1/2 mile at 7.5mph, 1/4 mile at 8mph, 1/4 mile at 8.5mph and then final cooldown. I tend to rationalize running slower here (at altitude)...when I race at sea level I don't work as hard to maintain a similar pace. Somedays that works and other days it doesn't. To qualify for Boston, I need to maintain about 7.1 mph so I am pretty psyched. Los Angeles is a newly designed flatter course. I am praying I get the good weather too...

All this agony of getting up early was so that I could caucus tonight on behalf of my political party. They estimated only 400 or so dems would show up in my precinct. I think there were between 1000-1500 people at the highschool. It was amazing and nuts and not at all expected. I was so excited and so proud to be a part of this huge movement for change. I got there at 6:30pm and didn't get home until 9:30pm. It was insane. All walks of life were present...little old ladies, middle-aged men, a young man enlisting to the navy Friday, cacusing for their presidential nominee...their voices were heard by all and not mocked for their beliefs. Despite what's going on in the country tonight, I felt that my voice was heard in the state of Colorado and the candidate I cacused for won. Regardless of what the outcome is, I feel like our country is moving forward. I am so proud right now to be an American with a voice. It's true what has been said...every vote counts.

No comments: