What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Running in the wildflowers with an old friend.









20 miles behind me and the taper begins. This is the best and worst part of the anticipation of marathon day. All the nerves and excitement seem to drag out and speed up each day. I can't believe that I will be running my 35th marathon. It seems like yesterday when I was training for my first...I did hot yoga this morning to work through some aches and tweak my mind.

I headed out the door yesterday around the usual time, 7:30am, camera in hand for some fun and hopes of running a 3:15. It doesn't sound fast considering what I need to qualify for Boston but I have always trained so slow - turning in 3:25's and 3:30's when doing my 20 milers in the past, with some walking. It was cool and definitely windy but I was anxious to get out there. The first song on my Ipod got me so pumped,"Isaac" by Madonna. Our yoga instructors use it in their classes and I actually re-played it 3 times while getting into the groove of things. Dressed in the usual Pink Tough Girl, I set out on my final long run...


Around mile 5 1/2, I felt an old friend join me. This was not like any experience I have ever had before but I felt down to my right, that Josey met up with me. She was running alongside me, on all fours, ears flopping, tongue hanging out and she was happy. Happier than I had ever seen her. I knew instantly she wouldn't be with me long but I welcomed her company and treasured those strides.


About 15 minutes later, if that, I knew it was time for her to go. As I have become accustomed to over the past 6 months, I started sobbing while running -loud and audible and excruciatingly painful. I "saw" her run up into the field on my left, flanked by trees, up and over a hill. It is exactly the place I imagined her going to when she died 5 weeks ago. She was set free from her crippled body and she ran fast and frantically towards a field of wildflowers that awaited her...it's where she belonged. The only song that comforts me when I think of her journey is Tom Petty's "Wildflowers." I downloaded this song on to my Ipod 5 weeks ago and I have NEVER heard it on shuffle, not once. As soon as she was gone, it started playing...This is not coincidence. I am convinced she joined me because she needed to tell me that she was ok, that she was running in the wildflowers and that she is where she belongs...and so am I... and I ended that run in 3:15:06. Thanks, Josey...


Widlflowers by Tom Petty
You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
Sail away, kill off the hours
You belong somewhere you feel free

Run away, find you a lover
Go away somewhere all bright and new
I have seen no other
Who compares with you

You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
You belong with your love on your arm
You belong somewhere you feel free

Run away, go find a lover
Run away, let your heart be your guide
You deserve the deepest of cover
You belong in that home by and by

You belong among the wildflowers
You belong somewhere close to me
Far away from your trouble and worry
You belong somewhere you feel free
You belong somewhere you feel free

3 comments:

Mike said...

As if Extreme Makeover wasn't enough crying for the evening...

Treasure those moments babe...
She's still with us and she always will be.

Love you Josey, Love you...

Deanna said...

Okay, I am crying. What an amazing experience. Cherish it. Thank you for sharing. Sweet dreams. Love you friend.

Jessica said...

Yeah Jose - getting our girl through her run and meeting her goal. Thanks for the visit, I know she's been waiting for you. Now its time to play Josey, play with all of our lost loves.