What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Thursday, February 7, 2008

The tortoise and the hare...


With a little over 3 weeks to go, I feel that I have done a damn fine job of getting into marathon-shape fast... I decided 4 weeks ago that I was going to run L.A. and that sure didn't leave me much time to get ready. Thankfully, I keep a strong base all year round for this very reason. When I am not preparing for a race, I keep my long Saturday runs at around 12-14 miles. This way, should I decide last second to hop into a marathon, I can. Last year, I decided 8 days before the Phoenix RNR Marathon to run it. It wasn't pretty but I managed to whip out a 4 hour race and meet a B/F/F from Washington. *DEE!!*

Yesterday was yoga and I felt really 'off.' I felt weak and didn't have the endurance I wanted for the 60 minute heated class. It's tough mentally when I have days like that but as I am learning through yoga, I must let go of all thoughts of perfection and just be present in the moment and have 'depth.'

Today, the Pink Tough Girl and I ran 5 miles with Mike at his pace. I was not in the mood to train, as I was beat. I had no idea what we were supposed to be doing, I just followed his lead. He was training in HR zones and there was a point on the way back home that he really picked up the pace. You see, he can run much faster than me - he always has but at shorter distances. I am built for much longer distances at slower speeds. It works out most of the time because this helps my recovery be so quick. (at least, I THINK it does...)

I KNOW HE WAS TRYING TO SHAKE ME at one point and I did say to myself, "to hell with this - let him go, he's just faster." That lasted all of about 30 seconds when I said again, "to hell with this, he will not out-run me - I can do this." And I beat him up the hill. :)



I don't like to think of myself as competitive...but once in awhile....

5 comments:

knopfler said...

I like the expression: The family that sweats together, stays together.

This, however, usually leads me to run next to Chris(ty) pushing 2 little girls and their 80 pounds in a stroller.

Jessica said...

Don't you dare let him beat you, you are Kristina, you are competitive, you are strong and you love looking at yourself in the mirror. You will not be beat!

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

i just like checking out her bum as she runs on past...

Deanna said...

You competive? Nah. Ha ha! You are an amazing athlete and woman Kristina. I am so happy we met and became BFF on that cold Arizona day. What would I do without you?! :)