What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, March 14, 2008

25 mile ride, 5 mile run brick


I had a GREAT day today. Of course, the fact that it's Friday may have had something to do with how good it was! I took a 1/2 day so I could head up to a coffee shop in Longmont to meet with Craig Howie to outline my Ironman goals and adjust my training plan accordingly. All I can say is that I am really excited and more focused than ever.

If I am going to sacrifice time for Ironman = time away from my husband, friends, family etc. then it better be worth it in the end. I told Craig today that if I am going to do this, there's no point for me in just doing it to do it. I have had 10 years of experience of just getting by and doing ok, some races better than others but almost all of them average (to me.) I don't want to have an average dream for Ironman, I want to dream BIG. I have never been technical about training and I can feel the difference already after only 2 weeks of concentrating on specific heart rate zones as outlined in my plan. I have so much faith in "the plan" which can only mean that I ultimately will have that much faith in myself.

Around 2pm though, a piercing headached crept in right above my left eye and 8 hours later, it's still there. I didn't want to take anything for it as it could have easily been race day that this happened and I have yet to take ibuprofen during workouts so I wanted to work through it.

Rode 25 on the trainer with my mainset in Z3 (13 miles). I tell you, that zone is a bee-atch for me on the bike. I am definitely out of my comfort zone there and will really need to concentrate on getting accustomed to being there. It takes a lot of effort for me to even get into z3 unless I'm climbing. Yikes!

Got off the bike, changed and was out the door minutes later with my fun little headache. We talked about nutrition today and that is something that Mike and I are really still experimenting with now. I opted for 1/2 a gel, every mile. My main set was in z3 (3 miles) and I parked myself right in the middle of that zone and felt incredible. At one point, I looked at the Garmin and saw 8:23 and was like, wuh? No way. But it felt good. Suprisingly. Despite the headache.

Tomorrow's going to be another great day. Lifting in the early morning and meeting Just an Average Skirt in Boulder for a 1200 yard swim at 10:30am. She's a little fishy so I am hoping to learn a thing or two from her. I love swimming. (that's my new mantra.) If I say it enough, I just might believe it!

I love swimming...I love swimming...I love swimming...

1 comment:

knopfler said...

let me try:
I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time... I love swimming in a pool for the upteenth time...
I actually DO love open-water swimming, how thick do they make wet suits?