What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Out of my comfort zone....


Day 2 after a marathon is always excruciatingly painful for me as the soreness in my legs has truly 'set in.' Walking backwards down stairs has become quite fun over the past 2 days but I am ready to be healed and move forward. I have come to know this feeling all to well after 35 marathons, it's time I tried something new.

I really appreciate having a training schedule emailed me to over the weekend so that I can prepare for the week ahead and know exactly what each workout will be like. When I train for marathons, I use a 3 day a week program and basically run for 'feel.' Ironman training with the Howie Endurance Project is specific to times/miles in heart rate zones and each workout has mini workouts within it. I love it! Obviously, it's more technical than that but for now, I wear the HR monitor and do what I'm told... the science is for Craig to know.

As you already know, I am NOT a strong swimmer, more importantly without a wetsuit, I plain suck. But Craig has confidence in me and now I must too. I definitely need to adjust my attitude towards pool swimming and learn to embrace the unknown. It's somewhat exciting for me because I am so new at swimming and triathlon that it is going to be here that I can challenge myself and make great strides. I get bummed that I am so awful at it but the good news is that I can only improve. Mike always tells me that I can't be good at everything, but dang, do I try.

My legs were really feeling it as I swam 1100 yards with zoomers (pictured below) in like, an hour?! OY! but I know as time goes on, it will get easier and easier. I do warn any of you thinking of racing a marathon and immediately following it with Ironman training, just 2 days later. Don't.


Tomorrow, 12 miles in Z2 on the bike. I am so excited to be varying my workouts... marathon training was beginning to get somewhat dull. I know my life is about to seriously change over the next 26 weeks. I already know how to run and ride, it's about time I left the comfort zone...

5 comments:

Mike said...

Babe,

Give it alittle time...you'll get comfortable and build you confidence level.

We can't be great at everything, but greatness comes from continally persevering...which you are great at!

Mike said...

see and I am a great speller....hahah

Jackie said...

Kristina...you cannot suck more than me at swimmming !

You will be great at it.....

Jess said...

As BJ has convinced me, the swim...well it's just the best part of the day. It's the coolest and the shortest.

I'll meet your hour long 1100yd swim with a struggling 13 minute mile. We all have our struggles and for people like us, all we can really do is turn them into strengths.

I'll totally be your swimming buddy whenever you need me.

BJ said...

Hey Kristina...great marathon time. We were following you online the whole morning. Gave us a little taste that race season is here, because I remember following alot of races last year online. Just one more confidence builder for your IM marathon.

Stick with it in the pool. You're going to have days that you feel so good, like everything is clicking. And then you're going to have days where you can't swim for shit...nothing is working...but just remember, it's all about the BIG picture. You're gonna do great!