What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Week 1 down

I finished my first week of official Ironman training and I feel awesome! Thankfully, it was all in z1 and z2 so I was able to recover from the marathon quite nicely.

This morning was nice and relaxed as I didn't need to get up before 7am for any reason at all. Finally, I was able to sleep in. Naturally, I woke up at 6:30 and decided to get up at my own free will - which was fine as I had some things to do before hopping on the trainer. Rode 15 miles and after having a new seat post put on last night (thank you Mike!) I was a little more forward on my bike and felt a lot more comfortable. I coverted my Dean rode bike at the end of summer last year and so I am hoping it will prove to be the right decision come 9/7/08. I just don't have an extra $4-5K to dump into a tri-bike. Yet....

Quickly threw on my tough girl, asics and visor and headed out the door for an easy 2 miler. My legs felt awesome. I know this won't always be the case so I really just enjoyed every step.
When I got home, I picked up little Looneys and went for a 2.2 mile walk and we cheered for Mike who was finishing up his brick.

This weeks totals:
2600 yards swim
27 miles cycling
4.5 miles running

I think BJ did that last night as the 2nd part of his workout. He's a machine and if you want to read about someone really testing his own abilities, check out his blog. Mike and I sit together and read his blog out loud. We are in awe and so proud of our friend!!
His wife, Jess, is pretty special too - nursing a foot injury so has turned to pool running for now.
That girl has some patience and perseverance. So in her honor, I wanted to share with her some "unfortunate times" in my life that have thankfully passed and made me a stronger and a more resilient woman as well...

It started in 8th grade... not only was I the tallest in my class (including the boys) I had the most mismatched hair. I just couldn't decide what to do... long? short?



By the time I got to high school, I knew one thing. I LOVED HAIRSPRAY!

and I loved The Cure too!!

Senior year was another time of change... I was falling out of the punk look and meshing with a more preppy girl attitude. Just another example of hair gone wild.


So, I do believe that our youth makes us stronger and prepares us for the difficult times that lie ahead. I am convinced that mine definitely has prepared me for Ironman since I seemed to have such an Ironclad hairdo - I had my very own built in bike helmet. Oh, and did I mention my little sister had all of these lovely photos blown up so she could share them with all of our wedding guests? Yeah, that was fun...



7 comments:

MichelleD said...

Damn girl - Nice hair!!
Really. I think you copied some of my doo's...damn. The Jensen girls used a LOT of Breck hair spray in the 80's dontha know. Glad you don't have pix of me....

BJ said...

Dam girl...Robert Smith is back!

Jess said...

You were so freaking hot! I'm just thanking my lucky stars that BJ didn't go to your high school because you'd be Mrs. G right now and not me. You were right up his alley girl, you had the same flock of seagulls product filled 'do' as he.

Didn't that strip hanging down in front bug you? I know it was probably hard as a rock and scratched your face when the wind blew it. We certainly grew up in the chemical days. Praise the AquaNet hot pink spray can.

Deanna said...

Loved these! You were a hot little number. Well, you still are. You're hair was TOTALLY AWESOME. Ha ha. The funny thing is we could have been twins back then too. But I didn't use Breck, I used AquaNet.

Michaelson Family said...

Ok....seriously...classic....

I never saw hairstyles like that growing up. Only Kristina could pull something like that off!

knopfler said...

I am speechless.
ya,
don't know whether to laugh or cry about the doos.

Mike said...

bring back the red doo ...:)