What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, May 19, 2008

Flipping the switch to ON when the power is OFF!

Holy hell, it was definitely a Monday. I did not get enough sleep this weekend. We got up early yesterday to watch Jess crush the Colfax Marathon in Denver in sweltering heat (our first hot day really of the season) ...she's run 3 marathons in the past 9 months in preparation for Ironman ... 5 weeks out and she's looking so strong. Just a mere 4 days earlier than this picture was taken, she rode 103 miles, not to mention all the other training days she had last week... she is going to be amazing in Coeur d'Alene!! Also, want to give a shout-out to Blogless Brian who smoked this race with 4 negative 10k splits and finished in 3:30:18... he is going to be incredible to watch at IMCdA! And HUGE kudos to BJ who won his first triathlon of the season... not his age group, but the whole triathlon. Congratulations Beej... CdA won't know what hit it when you get to town!

After that, we headed up to the Wilson's for our final CdA get together before Ironman. I felt like all I did all weekend was run around. It showed today...

I got up super groggy and headed to the pool for a 1050 drill swim, my choice. My choice? Well, it definitely was to NOT go but I did... had a crap swim. Sweet way to start the day. Was driving to work and not 5 miles on my way, the stupid empty light pops up on my dashboard...crap, have to stop and fill up and I am already running late. I got crankier as the seconds passed.

Was the same at work, one crap thing after another. I had zero motivation and even less energy. Tonight's run was going to suck - it was the hottest day of the year - hit 90 and I had a 14 mile run. Geezus, I had no clue how I was going to get it done. Dreading...dreading...dreading... The only good thing to happen today was that we had a cookie contest at work and I won! haha, I never win... thanks Dee for the Oreo Truffle recipe! It was a huge hit.

So, I get home, clean up a little bit, feed Lunz and get my stuff ready for this very hot run ahead of me. Did I mention I have no energy... as in, shoulda had a V8 kind of day? This was mostly a z2 run and 4.5 miles in z3. no.energy. Headed out the door with all sorts of negativity...had to shake it off or I was going to wind up on the side of the road or in some random ditch.

There was some wind from the north and my run is 2 out and backs, 5 and 9 so 7 miles into the wind uphill and 7 miles with the wind at my back downill. The only word I could focus on was "challenging"... and indeed this run was. Not 20 minutes into the run, I start bonking. My blood sugar is all messed up. I take 2 glucose tablets, a couple endurolytes, chug about 20 oz of Heed and pop a caffeinated Gu. 12 more miles to go... not sure how I'm going to do this.

Cruising along in z2 and then the challenge comes, I hit mile 8 knowing that I must run those z3 miles. This is not an option. I often say your best training comes from the worst days... I was thinking how in the world am I going to get into z3. I could barely stay in z2 without skimming the top of z1. I hit mile 9 and that was it, I had to step it up otherwise I should have just stayed home. I started pushing and pushing and pumping and fighting to get into z3...on a downhill with the wind at my back - do you have any idea how hard that is? I was wearing Mike's garmin so I could get the distance perfect and looked at my pace... what? Holy crap - it was a 7:44 pace...on a flat, that's like z5 for me so I kind of started smiling. a teeny bit. Got to the flatter part of this 4.5 miles and to maintain a z3 pace, I had to run 8:15's to 8:30's. Hmm. Looks like I am seeing some fitness improvement. I was running Boston qualifying pace... the smile got bigger, but it was on the inside because remember, I was very cranky today.

I think the absolute COOLEST part of this crappy run was the last 1/2 mile. I was in mid z3 and when I hit 13.5 miles slowed down to a super comfortable jog to get to z1, thinking, there's no way my heart rate would come down after that effort. And you know what? Within .13 of a mile, I was in z1... to be exact, I was able to drop almost 18 bpm within about a tenth of a mile. I got home thinking wow, I was out there forever and looked at my time - again, I was cranky and felt like goo and it was probably the best 14 mile training run time I ever had, 2:16. There were points in the beginning of my z2 running where I was running well over 11 minute miles.

So. I guess somehow I managed to turn the switch "on" inside me when the power was definitely "off." I still feel cranky but at least now I feel satisfied...I owe it all to my Coach, Craig Howie and his wife Jen...without them, I would have quit at mile 2...

3 comments:

jackie said...

Wow, that is some serious running.....You certainly HTFUd ! Only 4 weeks and we will be in CdA...can hardly wait.....

knopfler said...

nice job cranky-pants!

so... your bringing those award winning cookies to CDA, right?

Deanna said...

Kristina, you continually amaze me. Way to turn things around and switch it ON. Holy Frick!

But more importantly...Congrats on winning the cookie contest!!!!