What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A good cause

I am going to step out of my completely self-centered and me-centric world to talk about my older sister, Michelle aka Go.2.Belle. (far right in photo, elbows on knees) Michelle has always been the smart, successful, calm and charismatic kid in the family...[Me and my little sis, Amy are the total irresponsible class clowns! and Bobby is the sensible, quiet humorous one...] I don't remember Michelle playing sports much as a kid but she was always in good shape. As I got into marathons and cycling, she became a huge fan and support system to me. I'm sure she has no idea. She always offers me encouragement and sends me notes and sentimental gifts when I make huge strides in training or when I accomplish something big. She always calls me before a race to wish me luck. I have no idea how she remembers...

In the past year, she has found something she loves and is good at and has fun doing: ROLLER DERBY Lite. She talks about practicing falling down and getting up again in seconds, if not less... whipping each other around while skating...she is bruised and sore and tired, a lot. And she is having the time of her life. She has found something she is passionate about and is pursuing it. She has found a family amongst the other skaters and is bonding with them - much like I am with my triathlon friends! That's what life IS about. She's a wonderful role model to her daughter, my niece, Katie at 7 years old. She is teaching Katie about fitness and pursuing your dreams and making goals and accomplishing them. Katie has many obstacles to overcome as she had a stroke in utero but you would never know - she's a little spitfire, just like her momma!

For the past 3 years, Mike and I have fundraised for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and cumulatively, raised over $11,000. This year, with Ironman training, we have stepped aside from doing any fundraising at all, there's just not enough time in the day. However, my sister is doing something really cool for the American Cancer Society - this Sunday, she and the rest of her Roller Derby team are going to skate 10 miles on the Chicago Lakefront to help raise awareness and funds for cancer research. You see, we lost our Grandmother, Aunt and Uncle to cancer and Michelle lost her Mother-in-law...not to mention all of the other relatives and friends we have seen fight cancer, some winning, some losing...

If you have a few extra dollars and are looking for something gratifying and worthy of spending it on, I encourage you to visit her website and donate...2008 Walk & Roll Chicago
We all have the capacity to make a difference, a dollar or two cumulatively, can help save lives. Thank you for letting me share this ... Go.2.Belle. - I am so proud of you!! All my love!

3 comments:

Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Belle said...

Thank you. For once, I have no snappy comeback. I love you sis.
xox M

Jackie said...

As someone who has recently had the benefit of all the advances in cancer treatment.......

Thank you.