What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, May 16, 2008

Retiring the training wheels

Well, this morning's swim was going to be big. I didn't get to bed last night til almost 11pm and I got up at 4:30am and was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I was so excited to get in the water and test it, basically...I had taken off the training wheels and this was my first swim on my own. No pull buoy, no snorkel, no help. Just me and my bony ass in the water. The only thing I could think about for the past 24 hours was swimming.

The moment of truth had arrived and I jumped in the water at 5:05am and I swear there were angels and harps and a really bright light coming from 25 yards away. I was ready and I knew the only thing that was important today was kicking very lightly, tight but relaxed. I put my cap and goggles on, set my tempo timer at 130 and was off. Nice 'n Easy, like a clairol home coloring kit.

Warm up was 300 yards. I had never done it before without the pull buoy... 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300. I had made it. Holy crap. Without stopping. I think I shed a tear. Next was 300 fist drill...good grief, it was rough but I did it. Next was 9 X 25 back stroke, 25 sprint... Breezed through that. I love sprinting 25 (goes by quick!) Now, for the real test... main set = 500 yards z3. Whoah. Set the tempo timer at 110 or 115 and was off, nailed each 50, which turned into 100, which turned into 200 and so on. I swam 500 yards, comfortably, without stopping. I couldn't believe it, I still can't actually. Finished up the workout and logged a whopping 2,250 yards. There is serious cause for celebration here.

If ya'll could have seen me just a mere 10 months ago ... I am not the same person, I'm a swimmer now. Haha, ok, I don't need to be so dramatic but WOW... Was anxiously awaiting for Mike to get to the pool so he could see me. He finally got there for my last 50 and I was so pumped to show him. Got the 'way to go' from him. Then I got in the hot tub and started jabbering to the guy I was sharing a lane with... told him all about how I couldn't swim and now I could and I was training for an Ironman and he was training for the mini-haha (300yd pool swim, 16 mile bike, 2 mile run), then I talked to one of the lifeguards who saw me struggle all last summer and told her I could swim, then I got to work and told everyone, then I texted my coach and shared the news, emailed The Beej and Wicked Pissah, then called The Average Skirt!... and I could go on and on, but I won't. The point is, I couldn't shut up about it. I had really severe diarrhea of the mouth today. I know I drove everyone nuts today but I was bursting at the seams...I know many don't understand what this means but a few do (thanks for always listening Jess!!!)

Rode 20 miles on the trainer tonight - was supposed to ride 23 in z2 but I couldn't get my HR above 130 (low z1) so I bagged the last 3 miles. Tomorrow's a big day - missed a swim earlier this week (1700 yards) so may make it up before my brick... 45 mile ride/10.5 mile run. I am looking forward to training tomorrow- the weather is supposed to be awesome, finally.

What have I learned through all of this? Don't. Ever. Give. Up. on. Yourself!

2 comments:

Mike said...

I am so proud of you...See it was worth all the hard work, wasn't it?...It clicked, and you earned all of it....Friggity!

Now don't make a habit of crying in your goggles, that tends to make visibility suck.

Deanna said...

Way to persevere...that is awesome, you are aswesome! I am stoked for you Kristina!!