What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, May 9, 2008

So long Mr. Snorkelupagus

When I was a kid, I watched Sesame Street and there was a character, Mr. Snuffleupagus, that no one believed existed...he was a wooly mammoth creature that only Big Bird ever saw. Everyone would tease Big Bird, accusing him of creating this imaginary friend. He was real of course. Despite the fact that I have actually been called Big Bird on occasion, in many ways, my swimming snorkel has become my "imaginary" friend, a must in the pool. No one else believed that I had to use it but me. I lacked all confidence in the pool and relied on this imaginary friend to get me through the tough times. Well, today I said goodbye to my dear old friend, snorkel, and swam 1600 yards without it. This is HUGE!

My swim consisted of mostly drills but all the same, I fought through the urges to stop and put it on. I worked it out. I have to become comfortable and accountable for my swimming in the water and can't rely on gadgets, tools OR imaginary friends to help me. Ironman is not for the weak. Ironman is about digging deep and finding the strength to fight through the most uncomfortable and painful places in your mind, and body. After 10 weeks of training for this insane sport, I am finally starting to embrace the unknown and welcome the challenges.

Finished off the day with an easy 3 mile run and then off to dinner with 2 of my favorite peeps, K & K. We caught up on our lives and it's so awesome to talk to them about the silly, girly stuff...not HR zones and swim technique etc. I was able to forget about IM for a few hours over a couple of drinks and yummy food at The Empire Lounge & Restaurant in Louisville. It's a favorite and should definitely be checked out by the locals!


I only have 3 weeks left of Base training and then the "hell" of Build begins. Higher heart rate zone training, more intensity, bigger distances...in reality, more pain. I know I can do it. I am watching my husband and friends go through it now as they approach Ironman Coeur d'Alene, just a mere 6 weeks away. This is quite possibly the scariest place I have ever been in my entire life and I am loving every single-freaking-tired-fire-in-the-pits-of-hell minute of it!

1 comment:

knopfler said...

I love Snuffleupagus!

Kudos on the snorkless thingy.
You rock the house, have confidence.