What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, June 2, 2008

A short swim and 15 hot but sweet ones

This morning's swim was short. I love that 1100 yards to me is just that. There's no dread involved with going to the pool anymore. There's no wondering, will I be able to do this today. All there is, is determination and room for improvement. I am excited to hit the open water with the skills that I have developed over the past 13 weeks.

Got home and ready for my 15 mile run. The temperature on my car dashboard was 90. But for some reason, I wasn't dreading the heat or the fact that I had 15 miles to run after work. I don't mind doing my long runs on Monday nights at all, anymore... I feel like I am setting myself up for a very similar situation at Ironman. It could be 90 degrees and it could very well be 5:00pm by the time I get off my bike and start the marathon. Anything can happen at Ironman...

Most of the run was z2 - slow and steady. The 15 mile out and back we run is nice and hilly and so there are opportunities to spike my HR into z3 - with this heat, it was no problem. I opted to walk a couple times up the hills just until I got my HR back into the bottom of z2 and then pick up the pace again. I am sticking to 'the plan' so that I can get all the benefits from it. There's a reason Craig has a run/bike/swim distances with specific instructions on where our heart rates are and I am sure as hell going to follow it. Finished in 2:34... not stellar but for a z2 run in 90 degree temps, I am really happy with that. I used Infinit on the run as well as Hammer's Endurolytes, Clif Bloks and Gu. I felt extremly hydrated and strong. No major aches or pains to report, finally...

Side Note: After talking with Tim DeBoom on Sunday, I have switched gears and my focus has become to finish Ironman. He said, as first-timers. (to Jess and I) that our only goal should be to finish because who knows if we even can. OF COURSE Jess and I know we can finish... we are tough bitches! haha... serriously though, he is right... removing a time goal from training makes training more manageable and fun in my mind, so that is what I have done. I feel the pressure is off and I can still give 110% and be satisfied knowing that no matter what happens at Ironman, I did everything I could to get there. There is no doubt in my mind that on the night of Septmber 7th, I will hear those words come from Mike Reilly's famous voice... "Kristina Freisem, You are an IRONMAN..."

1 comment:

knopfler said...

If I asked you at mile 120 about your time goal you would hit me - and probably hard. No sense thinking about it now.