What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, July 28, 2008

10.5 mile run

After 48 solid hours of rest, I came home tonight and got ready for my insane 10.5 mile run. 8 X 200M steep hill repeats at z5 (yeah, right!) and 6 miles in z3. Well, since the volume of training this week is incredibly lower than last, the intensity has turned up quite a bit. Tons more speedwork. The thing that I just love so much.

Left at 6pm and it was super overcast and very stormy to the west - also quite windy. Great running weather! Warmed up for about a mile and a half and got to my 'steep hill' on Zuni and set my water bottle down, took a deep breath and went for it. Hard. 8 times. My heart rate got as high as 179 - which is just 5 beats under z5 but I couldn't get there. I thought I was going to die, or black out at best. I gave it 110% though and that's all I could ask of myself.

Took about 2 minutes to cool down and then set out for my 6 mile z3 effort. It was tough and I had to work extremely hard to maintain that for 6 miles. I have no clue how I made it through this workout. I developed the most insanely large blister on the bottom of my right third toe. The same one that lost it's toenail Friday. The new Super Feet though felt awesome!

Side note: Yesterday, after playing around at Scott Carpenter pool with Mike and The Gumkowski's, Mike and I went over to Fleet Feet to figure out what the heck was going on with my feet and why they hurt so bad. They said my shoes were the right ones and to try using Super Feet inserts. It definitely helped with the pain and movement in the front of the shoe. So, now I just need to figure out why that toe is blistering so bad but overall my feet felt a ton better. It's always something.

2,450 yard swim tomorrow and a massage. I can't wait! *let's be clear: I can't wait for the massage, not the swim*

3 comments:

jackie said...

Do you put Body Glide on your feet ? I smother mine with BG and hardly have any trouble with blisters.

You will be SO read for IM MOO.

Cristen aka Payne D. Spencer said...

What color SuperFeet did you purchase? These were recently recommended to me for my skates and I've been looking for someone to give a thumbs up before I drop $40 on something that could be worthless.

PS - The arnica cream has helped both Pez & I with elbow bruises & swelling lately! Thanks for the suggestion!

Go.2.Belle said...

Let's chat about the SuperFeet!