What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

1.7 mile swim, 8 mile run

and it was all done by 7pm! yay. Last night, hit the hay around 8:20 because the alarm was going to disrupt my well earned sleep at 4:15am this morning. Slept like a rock. I am so exhausted. I need to go back and read everyone's blog when they were 9-10 weeks out from Ironman. This is so unbelievable how freaking sore and tired I am. Good grief. Why am I doing this again? Oh, the reward of the actual day. and of course, the tattoo. Ok, that's NOT why I'm doing it but I am definitely getting the tattoo anyways.

Swim was a little rough. Didn't get into a groove and my balance was way off. Felt like my feet were just hovering the pool bottom and rather than struggle through the whole workout, grabbed the pull buoy and used it when needed. Had a 23 minute distance time trial. Was supposed to see how far I could go in 23 minutes of z3. Um. not far. Not really far at all. Swam 19 laps, which is only 950 yards. lame. had to get to 1300 so kept going. Thankfully Ironman allows you 2 hours 20 minutes in the water. Just might take advantage of that after all.

Another tough day at the office keeping my eyes open. Went to a lunch with a girl I met on myspace who is also doing her first Ironman in Wisconsin. She's 26 and is going to rock the course. She's a hardcore swimmer and cyclist. She's got the strength of youth on her side. If only I would have started all this 10 years ago. *ho-hum*

Decided to shuffle around tonight's workout. Wasn't going to do anything at all and bag it altogether but Jess once said, if you have the opportunity to workout and you can, DO IT. This was when she was sick during Peak and missed 4 days of training. As you know, I listen to everything she says so I opted for my 8 mile OD run. It was hot and muggy and some storms were hovering in the east. Temp was around 90. blech.

If you know me well, you know I hate speedwork. If you know me really well, then you know what I hate almost more than speedwork. Sweating. Yes, I. hate. sweating. and sweat. period. ask mike. UGH. Part of the reason I LOVE living here is because it's so dry. I know the humidity is over 60% when I sweat. I had sweat beads pouring down my head tonight, down my cheeks. GROSS. Many marathon finishes here it doesn't even look like I broke a sweat. It almost looks like I just got out of the shower and had gotten ready to go out. Don't get me wrong, I can work hard and sort of sweat. moreso glisten. but the whole wet sweat, well, creeps me out. I take a deep breath before I give out post-race hugs to those who have been sweating their ass off for 4, 11, or 14 hours -depending on the race. It's a sacrifice for me. When Mike gets home from wicked hot workouts, I pretty much shove him into the shower, shoes and all to become less sweaty looking. I'm a freak. We all know this already.


So, with that being said. My sweaty run sort of sucked. z2 in 90 degrees? death march. like running through molasses. covered in sweat. a sweaty molasses death march. ahh, build....


1 comment:

Raine said...

Glisten?
-such a girly word