What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

And so it begins.

I didn't think it would start this early and I definitely thought I would have more time. I wasn't really prepared for this but no such luck. Every time I am training, whether swimming or riding or running, if I even start to think about Ironman and me actually doing it - envisioning my start, the ride, the finish... - I get a huge lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I become so incredibly overwhelmed with emotion - mostly pure joy - that I start to cry. It's happening more frequently now and it's quite funny actually. So for now, I do my best NOT to think about it at least while swimming because that can pretty much halt my workout. :)

Had an easy 24 mile ride tonight and hooked up with Mike a couple of times as he was on a 12 mile run. We are both exhausted and it was just so nice to see each other. The weather was much cooler today and the sky held threats of a storm. We didn't get rained on but it sure would have been ok if we did.

Tomorrow, the plan is to get up at 4am and run 10 miles before work then meet Jess at the Boulder Rez for Stroke n' Stride afterwards. We'll swim 1500 meters together (I will do my best to keep up) and then I will cool down with the organized 5k and an additional 2 miles. If I can get this done, this leaves me with a 2,350 yard swim (I think that's how far I have to go) on Friday and another 5 mile OD run. Hoping to put some more pieces of this week's puzzle together. We'll see what happens... Then Saturday, the monster ride. 114 miles. 2 miles over Ironman distance...this is SOOOOO exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARBO LOAD CITY BABY!!!!!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I totally know that feeling. And in fact, this was what got me through my hardest workouts. When I just wanted to quit or when I thought I just couldn't go on, all it took was the vision of me crossing the finish line and I was back on track and usually going harder than before. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

you are so my hero KELL!!!

Anonymous said...

I still think about that feeling. On days that just feel like a slog I remember what the chute was like and I can't help but fly. You're getting so close!!! p

jess said...

I had so much emotion during my training that I think I left it all in Boulder, during IM I kept having to remind myself where I was and what I was doing.

You'll be surprised at what you can do on IM day, what you will feel and how strong you will be at the end. It's nothing like training.

The race is nothing less than the reward baby, nothing less than hitting the jackpot. Enjoy!