What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, July 12, 2008

If you want to BE strong, you have to GET strong...

and the only way to do that is through hard, HARD work. I had a conversation with a girlfriend this week about how you have to close one door in order for another one to open. Today, I decided to close and lock my door on fear so that the door for embracing my weaknesses could open. IRONMAN should not be about fear. It's about managing your weakness and exploring your soul and turning your stumbling blocks into stepping stones. Fortunately, I have lots of experience with pain management through 10 years of marathon and 2 really f*&%$d up feet but in the end, a kind of joy you never thought imaginable fills me up when I finish a workout. It's hard to describe to those who don't enjoy 6-8 hour training days or getting up at 4am or burning 4,050 calories by working out (which is what I burned today and entitles me to a burger, fries and some beers tonight! booyah!!) I can tell you that I love (and hate) every single second of what I do - if you're not passionate about something, you shouldn't be doing it, right?!

I never thought of myself as a strong person, more stubborn. But today I proved to myself that I am strong and I do have what it takes to swim 2.4 miles, ride 112 miles and run 26.2 miles. I have passion (I'm a scorpio) and a drive to work hard and commit 110% to my coach's plan so that I can get to Ironman and be ready. I am not there yet... but am getting there, stroke by stroke, stride by stride, day by day. I am 'in it' and I am soaking it all up and cherishing it as I am told this time goes by quickly.

Biggest brick ever - 64 mile ride/15 mile run. Set out around 7:30am and the weather was perfect. It was a great morning as I headed out to Boulder and decided to beat myself up a little bit and get my legs good and tired. Met a guy from Missouri who was here on vacation and training for IM Louisville. I told him I was doing Wisconsin and he joked, you like hills? And I thought - um, do you like to sweat like a pig? haha. Told him I loved hills and would he be interested in riding one today? He welcomed the challenge and I took him to Olde Stage and it was packed! The Boulder Peak (an olympic distance triathlon) is next Sunday (and I will be doing it) and Olde Stage is part of the course. It's a tough hill and is not forgiving. Last week I rode up/down it 3 times. Today, well, I felt like challenging myself and rode it 5 times. I passed quite a few people and felt pretty good about that, especially on my fifth time up. Unfortunately, there were a couple people walking their bikes up it. I put on the blinders and turned my legs over harder. Met an older guy at the top - Cisco - and he said you're doing intervals up Olde Stage - what are you training for? IM Wisconsin. He said, ahh, good - you're first? I replied yes. He said his favorite is Canada and he has done it 5 times along with California, Arizona and Hawaii. I told him that's amazing and that I would be the one chasing him up Olde Stage next week.


Got home in 4 hours and got ready to run. Applied more sunscreen, grabbed my stuff and headed out for two 6 miles loops with a 3 mile outback. Legs felt good - solid, tired more like good and tired! It was a little warmer but I felt great - hydrated, had enough to eat. Held back the first loop because I was supposed to run the second one in z3. Got to the point where I needed to step up to z3 but just couldn't do it. I wanted to and could have pushed myself but decided at that point that I just wanted to run a solid 15 miles - no need for speed, no need to hurt myself or worse, walk. Just hang in there, push through the pain and finish strong. I was able to do that and just pushed really hard through the last 3 miles. My feet were toast (lost another toe nail) but everything else seemed to feel good. That's all I can ask of myself. I finished in 2 1/2 hours. That is the exact time that I usually finish that run without riding 4 hours beforehand so I was really psyched about that. Loved my new shoes - broke in the Asics Nimbus 10's today - given the pain I would have been in had I run in the other 2 pair I have, I made the right choice.

Overall, it was a GREAT day!! I wanted to be strong and I got what I wanted...

1 comment:

BJ said...

great job...you're almost there. Just keep those blinders on, focused on the goal, that's it. Funny you met Cisco...have you ever met him before? He's a pretty incredible athlete, and he's all over Boulder. I think he once had a running record, not sure where. But look him up, Cisco Quintero.

Stay strong, only a few more weeks left.