What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Open water swim = success

Decided to bag my 9.5 mile tempo run this week and focus solely on getting comfortable in the open water. Headed to Union rez yesterday morning and managed to get 5 laps in (2000 yards).

My first lap was chaos. I was winded, out of breath, a little freaked. Drew upon some advice from the Beej as I went out for the second lap. Focus on one thing and ONE thing only. Ok. Breathing. That is the only thing I am going to think about. Also, I am going to physically relax my body. Came up with a rhythm of saying, one, two, three in my head as I exhaled each time to the left and after the third breath, lifted my head to sight. and repeated. and repeated. I became Rain Man and it worked. I thought of nothing else but one, two, three, lift. It was awesome. Did that for the remainder of my workout and emerged feeling really good. Anxious to get back out there.

Spent a better of the evening talking in-depth about training and IM experiences with Petra - who offered some valuable insight and advice as I approach these final weeks of training. What I am most anxious to work on is in the final stretch of the swim, to start kicking hard and get blood circulating to my leg muscles again. Something I have never done in the past as I don't kick at all during the swim. It should help with the wobbly sea-legs you often have after the lengthy swim. Thanks Petra!

I am getting sooooo excited for my race. Exactly 8 weeks from this very moment, I will be in the marathon portion of my 140.6 mile journey. I can't wait!

Thanks to everyone for listening to all of my woes, excuses, fears and frustrations. I promise from here on out, it's positive thoughts, energy and words!! I am getting into an Ironman frame of mind. If I don't, there is an Average Skirt out there who is totally going to kick my ass...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I think the biggest thing with the swim is not to panic. Do whatever you have to do to make yourself comfortable. If that means turning into Rain Man, then do it. And just be prepared for the first turn because it's likely that everyone will be all bunched up there.

As for being ready, you are totally ready. Craig seems to inherently know where everyone's breaking point is. He'll take you right up to it and just when you think you can't take it anymore, it's taper time. I'm not sure if I can offer words of advice, but I'm more than happy to share my experience with you. I know I had about a million questions before mine.

Jess said...

You bet your ass I'll beat the crap outta ya. Not another bitch out of your mouth from here on in...it's going to be a great day, it's going to be a great day....and it will.

Set your intention for the day.