What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Who needs a comfort zone anyway??

Wow. Never have I ridden so hard and fast that I actually thought I might throw up. Well, that changed tonight. Along with seeing stars. and the most wicked burning sensation in my throat. and the coughing...oh my... catching my breath was quite fun!

Had a 38 mile ride which to me seems ridiculously short these days, however, it was served with a twist. 14 x 1 minute hard out of the saddle attacks at a z5 feel. Oops, forgot the out of the saddle part - maybe that's why I felt so sick. I did all this crap in my seat, up a hill - approximately a tenth of mile, climbing 100 feet (or something like that - I am terrible with distances) would turn around, coast down and let my heart stop leaping out of my throat and do it all over again. Did I mention it's the 18th straight day that we've hit 90+ temps? Not pretty. not pretty at all. I was within 1-2 beats from my maximum HR of 174 [on the bike] each time I got to the top of the hill. I thought I was going to die. I even said out loud, "I am going to die."

After that monstrocity was over with, I headed north to a fairly flat (using the word FLAT loosely) part of town that I could then ride a 13 minute time trial (TT) in z4. I rode 4.72 miles, averaging 21.78mph. That was pretty cool since my total ride time average was around 15.6mph and I am a solid 16mph rider.

My legs are definitely sore, again. I am way out of my comfort zone...as I typically tend to just muddle along, enjoying myself, smelling the roses etc... BUT once in awhile, it's pretty cool to get somewhere, fast. I believe life is meant to be lived outside the comfort zone you build for yourself. Think of all the great things everyone could accomplish if they just stepped outside that zone, just once in awhile and really believed in themselves!? This is what becoming an Ironman is all about. Nothing seems comfortable anymore, and right when it seems like it's just about to get comfortable, a curve ball is thrown at me - and it's called PEAK. 4 weeks of pushing past ALL levels of comfort and breaking through to the potential that lies within. 38 days til Ironman...

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Nice job! There is nothing comfortable about peak, so get used to the almost throwing up feeling. Just a warning: you may get very close to your breaking point. And just when you think you can't take it anymore, it's time to taper. Just take it one workout at a time. You're almost there and you're doing great!

RunnerChick said...

Ooooooh the countdown is on! I am so excited for you! Way to kick ass on that ride!

Mike said...

So I want to know, do you find the picture first and then the blog title or vice versa babe??I need help with that...Stay stong and focused!