What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More time in the water

Since Sunday, I have been feeling really beat up and so to ease back into training, today's goal was to swim as far as I could for 75 minutes in the open water. I was a little late in heading up to Union Reservoir so I was all business when I got there. Got into my wetsuit as quickly as possible, sucked down my Rescue Remedy and headed to the water. New plan. Just get in and swim. Break old habits of tooling around, chatting beforehand. Plenty of time for that after.

Each lap is approximately 400 yards and I swam that first one in under 7:30. Wait a minute. Who is in my wetsuit? I typically start off around 8:30ish for that first one? I tried to hold back, not push it but was definitely winded. Second lap was definitely going to be slower- I was excited but I didn't want to give it all away in the first 10 minutes. :) From here, I swam laps continuously. READ [DID. NOT. STOP.] After my 8th lap, yes, that's 3600 yards I stopped to check my watch. Sweet geezus - It's only been 65 minutes - I have time for one more lap. Got done and headed out and back to the first buoy to get every second I could out of this swim.

Finished almost 3,850 yards in 1:15.24. Ok, so. You know what happens now. The numbers start churning in my head. If I continued that pace to get to 2.4 miles what would my time be?
I am so sad (sarcastically) to say it's 1 hour, 23 minutes. What?!?!? Ok, let's factor in 2200 more bodies thrashing in the water and some serious nerves. Let's also factor in that I will be more than rested and hopefully by then, my right shoulder will be feeling much better - it's pretty sore right now. I am thinking that my Ironman swim is going to be... AWESOME!!!! Who gives a crap what time it will be...I don't anymore... it's simply going to be a great time to me no matter what happens. The key is to stay in control, not panic and enjoy the most pain-free part of my 140.3 mile journey...booyah!

2 comments:

Go.2.Belle said...

Congrats sis. I am so stinkin' proud of you. I can't wait to see you in action. xoxoxo Michelle

yaicha said...

I am SO, SO, SO happy for you! That is totally awesome and amazing!!!! I looked in my crystal ball today and it said that you are going to KILL IT in the swim in IM wisconsin!!!