What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, August 16, 2008

One incredibly wild ride

Full well knowing today's forecast was grim, I slept in until 7am in hopes that the air would clear by 8/8:30am. No such luck. Mike helped me pick out my riding gear as there was NO way I was going to ride 125 miles on the trainer. I was in my shorts, put on his winter riding tights over them, socks, winter booties over my shoes, a base layer, my winter thermal riding jacket, winter gloves and beanie. I was more than prepared to be cold. Wet however? Not so much. Wasn't looking forward to that.








It was about 52 and a slight drizzle, wasn't awful when I headed out. I thought, hey, this isn't so bad. I got about 15 miles out and as I headed west to Boulder, clouded and not a mountain in sight, the rain picked up as did the wind. Are you freakin' kidding me??? All sorts of thoughts were running through my head - I got this far in training, don't do anything stupid to put IM in jeopardy; don't be a wuss, keep going. The angel and devil on my shoulder were definitely fighting. I opted to turn around and go home. Throw my bike on the trainer and hope for the weather to clear.

It was a full on downpour on the way home and everything was so wet it was so uncomfortable and I was freezing, my teeth were chattering, my fingers and toes were numb. Not good. Took the hottest shower I could withstand, warmed up, changed clothes and headed to the basement to watch the Olympics. Unfortunately, they were showing events I was utterly uninterested in but around 2pm, I could see the sun start to shine in through the basement window. In the meantime, my clothes were in the dryer so I thought I could head back out for round 2 outside and finish up the ride.

Met up with the infamous Blogless Brian No More and things were looking promising. The sun was shining and there was no rain. I was actually a little warm. We made our way north as the skies behind us looked ominous. That started to catch up to us and it became a game of beat the rain. I called Mike and asked him to pick us up as we made our way up north and it got to the point where BSG and I had to turn around and head back towards home so he could make it home in time for dinner. After 25 pain in the ass miles, Mike came and we packed it in. I can't thank Brian enough for breaking up my day and forcing me to ride faster than I would have alone. You rock! Thanks babe for coming to get us, even though it STOPPED RAINING FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!!! ARGH!!!!!!!

Got home, changed clothes for the 4th time, threw my bike back on the trainer and settled in for the final 35 miles of my 125 mile ride. Thankfully there was more exciting tube to watch - Women's Marathon (yes, that's exciting to ME!) and trudged forward, one pedal stroke at a time. All throughtout the day, I was getting texts and calls from family and friends...what are you doing? Still riding was my reply to everyone!

For a moment, I thought, heck, I could bag this bitch at 112 but there was something nagging me, deep down - all this training, all these months... I have bagged shorter workouts and really, what would the difference be between 112 and 125 - Ironman is only 112. Why go the extra distance? I will tell you why. It is a moment like this that defines your strength, not physical but mental. There is no reason for anyone EVER to train more than 112 miles for Ironman but they do. This is what separates us from everyone else. Those 13 (or 17-38 in some cases) extra miles is what makes us hard core (or crazy to everyone who doesn't do Ironman) ... those 13 extra miles are going to get tucked away and won't be pulled back out until I am at mile 99 of the ride on September 7th and they are going to be the sweetest 13 miles of my entire life....


AND for the record, my legs feel incredible and I can't believe I am still up at 10:30PM watching the most amazing Olympics ever...

2 comments:

jess said...

Nice job! It pays to be a bitch, and you're a tough one! Congratulations, you will remember this workout on 9/7 and it will be there to pay you back.

Congratulations on not giving up, congratulations on your soon to be given title of Ironman!

I'm so proud of you - now do you agree, swimming is the best of the three?

Go.2.Belle said...

Hey crazy lady. Hope your butt is ok after all the miles in the seat. I admire your determination and 'stick-to-it-ness'. xoxo one of the family that kept calling....