What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pass or fail?

I was never really good at tests. I was that student who would cram like mad the night before a test, memorizing and praying that everything would stay in my brain for 24 hours, until moments after the test was over. (sorry Mom and Dad!) I got lucky, a lot. Sometimes, not so lucky. I do believe I dropped a course or two mid-way through the semester, after my test score came back. Shameful, I know.

Well, these past few days have been chalk full of tests. I am exhausted, both mentally and physically. We all know why. I wanted so desperately tonight to skip my ride and just nap. Do nothing. NOT workout. I was faced with a pop-quiz when I looked at the skies and they were black, thunder booming loudly - those darned angels bowling again. Mike put on a brave face, got out his rain jacket and headed out on the bike. Pass. I went upstairs and laid in bed for a moment, racking my brain. What is the answer to this question I am faced with?!? Do I get on the bike or do I fail...

I literally dragged myself to my dresser, got out my cycling shorts and put them on. Maybe I would be inspired. Maybe it would jog my brain, give me the correct answer. I went through the motions of getting ready for my ride. I thought about September 7th. I thought about all the questions I would be faced with that day. Can I do this? Am I strong enough? Did I put in enough time preparing me for this day? And then suddenly, the answer came to me. Just like that.

Get. on. the. damn. bike.

And so I did. On the trainer no less...may I remind you it was a pop-quiz. I wasn't expecting the storm but somehow I rode it out... for 2 hours and 20 minutes...falling 10 miles short of the plan but 36 miles ahead of the curve...

Test score: Pass.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Remember - training smart is so much more then getting the workouts done. Excellent job tonight pushing through, sounded like the right thing to do. Over these next few weeks it will be paramount to listen to your body and allow it to peak. Key workouts are the ones you simply cannot miss, you know, those yellow highlights on your master plan that have been haunting you all season? Rest up for this weekend and go show them 35-39'ers how its done.