What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, August 4, 2008

Slug bug bike fest

Rode 36 miles (OD) tonight and I was just. not. feeling. it. Work seemed to drag on forever and on the way home, had a small meltdown while talking to Mike. I am freaking out that I am not getting enough long distance swims in. He talked me out of my funk but I still wasn't looking forward to my ride. In fact, I was dreading it. I just wanted to sit on the couch and do nothing, be a slug. Mimic yesterday afternoon. Sunday Slug Fest. I napped. I took a bath. I stretched. Laid on the couch some more. It was awesome!

I digress.

It was windy and really overcast, in fact I thought I was going to get dumped on with rain but somehow the storm seemed to pass around me and there was only light drizzle. Every direction I headed, the wind was there to greet me. Little bastard. I was definitely riding in low z2 - if that and felt like this ride was going to last forever. Managed to get home and it's pretty clear that the days are getting shorter, sun is setting sooner. I can't believe how quickly summer is going.

Overall, the ride took me 2:15, averaging 16mph. I was pleasantly surprised as I put little effort into it. Afterwards, Mike and I stretched and felt a ton better. We're making a promise to each other to do this every day. My hamstrings are ridiculously tight and feel like they could snap in half at any moment. I am going to put on some biofreeze and head to bed. Up at 4:30am for a long swim and then another ride tomorrow night - 39 miles - hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. I guess you can say that I am: about to go over the edge, on the brink, in it, ready to throw in the towel, at wits end, about to lose it, reaching my limits.


BUT. This too shall pass....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four weeks today we leave for Chicago/IM MOO...you only have two more weeks and then taper....

Hang in there.......

Don't panic about the swim....you will be GREAT!

knopfler said...

Me thinks its time to come up for air, boil the training down to the one simple thing that will get your head in the right place:
swim in open water for a long time.

Everything else is in the bank.