What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday morning death march

After napping for almost 2 hours yesterday, hitting up a 5 year old's birthday party where I somehow managed to drink 5 beers (in his honor of course!) and getting to bed by 10pm, somehow 4:45am just came too fast for me today. Ok, so adding in the 2 hour nap, I did manage to get almost 9 hours of sleep in prior to this mornings long run.

Was out the door at 5:40am and it was already warm but comfortable. Right off the bat, I was having issues. Darned HR monitor wasn't working. My HR would jump from 98 to 277 back to 58. Oyyyye, it was going to be a long morning. I stopped a few times trying to fix it but to no avail. I should have left it at home. I was supposed to do six - 1 minute z5 sprints and then a 2 mile z4 run. Let's just say I was able to do almost 5 sprints but most assuredly NOT hitting z5. I also managed to get in 2 miles of z3. I just had nothing in my legs. They were little leaded stumps today.

Clearly realizing that stretching has to become a #1 priority for me, the run was most definitely painful. Mike asked me "Describe your run in 2 words." DEATH MARCH. 18 1/2 miles of sheer crap (I couldn't bring myself to run the last 1/2 mile.) But the important thing is that I muddled through it. It's all mental sometimes. I have run many marathons feeling this way. Your head and heart so badly want to be faster but your legs can't answer that prayer.

Met up with my support crew twice on the course - thanks Mike and Lunz. Mike got this photo of me at mile 15 1/2...still smiling on the outside but crying on the inside. My leg was seconds from snapping off.



Infamous Kelly B pose...

After grocery shopping, I managed to get in another 1 hour and 45 minute nap, followed by an epsom salt bath and 15 minutes of stretching (mostly yoga poses.) I feel a zillion times better than I did just a few hours ago. I vow to stretch every evening for 10 minutes - it's a habit that I absolutely must form. I promise Jess!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Nice job fighting through, these types of days just happen from time to time. It's how you handle them that counts. You're so ready to be an Ironman.