What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Was it luck or fate?

Swam last night, worked on loosening up my arms and relaxing more in the water. 2.4 miles is a long way and I wanted to really practice my sighting. Rather than breathing and then sighting before I stroke, I decided to breathe/sight while I stroke - too hard to explain but a lot less energy spent and a lot easier on my neck. May have spent more time in the hot tub last night as the water temps at the pool were so chilly (Gum's - how do you swim at East Boulder rec without freezing??)

Today was the BIG day. For many reasons as I am also a democrat but moreso because I was headed to Dean after work to pick up my new TT bike. I got there right as it was being set up for a fitting. My breath completely left me as I looked at what I thought was the most amazing thing ever. Wow. My husband is truly the best - I can't believe he did this for me. [THANK YOU BABE] It's the perfect shade of pink (for me- will probably sicken most ungirly people) and it's so simple in it's design and the coolest part about it is that my name is etched in silver on the top tube. That was a huge surprise!!

I decided to take it out for a little spin on 63rd to get used to this whole new configuration of shifting. Got about 5 minutes away and noticed that the bars were not secured or something was bouncing and took it back to get it fixed. Was off for a 2nd time. Might I mention that I asked at the last minute for a 27 vs the 25 that was on it - don't ask what this means, I am not sure how to explain it but basically my cassette was switched out but the chain length remained the same and so I was told not to go into a certain gear b'c it wouldn't work...this translated as you can't get into it even if you tried. Cool, I thought... it won't let me, no big whoop as I never am in that gear anyways...

Headed out about 4 miles or so from the bike shop and tried that gear, without really knowing as this new shifting system is so different then what I'm used to. Guess what, it GOES into that gear. You know what else it does, it snaps the derailleur right off too. F&%K. 4 miles from my car, no one lives near where I am and over 40 cars pass without asking me if I need help as I'm walking my bike, helmet off, shaking my head and obviously in trouble. Finally, a huge truck stops - sweetest man - and takes me back to Dean just as the head mechanic Pete is locking up. PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!! He promises me it will be all fixed up tomorrow and Mike can go pick it up. Thankfully I tried this now, today and not in Wisconsin...imagine the consequences? I am feeling really good though, not stressed out and definitely not sweating the small stuff as I could have been climbing, had the chain fall off and crash. It's the little blessings in life...

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Yeah! Send me a pic of your new bike plz! I gotta see it.