What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, August 11, 2008

When the stars align...

...sometimes, the most amazing things happen. and sometimes. just sometimes, they actually happen to me. It's as if I can transcend this world, go to my own planet and live in that moment, all alone, just me...

Went into the Long Course with the most positive attitude and confidence I have ever felt going into a race. I knew it was going to be a perfect day, no matter what happened. I knew I would do my best and I knew I would hold back some, having to save it for a bigger and more important day, September 7th. With no expectations on time or performance, this 70.3 mile race was just a training day for me.

Got to the race early enough to not be rushed, took my time setting up transition. Met up with the Wilson's and headed down to the water. Calmly. Chris and I went in and warmed up. It was a beautiful morning. I couldn't have been more pleased. I didn't even know what the forecast was because in my mind, it was going to be 'just right' regardless. Found Mike and Craig, exchanged good lucks and was ready to rock. Just seconds before the start, I found 'my spot,' pictured my swim and how I wanted it to go and began. Found my line right away and just went for it. Slowly, calmly and in control. I have felt that way before but then something has happened to jar me from this energy and I was not going to let it slip from me this time. No matter what happened, 2 things were going to occur during my 1.2 mile swim. 1. No stopping 2. No panic or freaking out. I was there to do one thing and one thing only. Swim.

48 minutes later, I emerged from the water, grinning ear to ear. I did it. I set a goal and achieved it. Headed into transition, taking my time. Went so far as changing my outfit entirely and out in under 7 minutes. I wanted to simulate Ironman T1 as closely as possible - not feeling rushed and not feeling as though I had to rush. Got on my bike slowly in the mount area, next to a woman who was totally spazzing out trying to rush getting onto hers. She almost made herself fall down and all I could think was, that will never be me again. Good things do happen to those who wait.

Had the ride of my life and although I experienced some tenderness in the saddle (the usual spots), I managed to ride both loops exactly as they were laid out in Craig's race strategy. The weather was ideal - overcast, slight breeze. The ride was mostly uneventful and I felt strong and was curious as to my time so with about 3 miles left, I switched the bike computer over to the time reading and was shocked to see that I was well under 3 hours. Me? No way... again, more dumb grinning... got into transition in 2:51:11, avergaing 19.6 mph...on my road bike converted to aero. I cannot wait to see what I can do on my triathlon bike (should be ready by 8/23?! hip, hip...hooray!)

Once again, took my time in T2 and made it out in under 4 minutes with a much needed pee break. The strategy here was to run the first loop in z2 and the second in z3. It was tough letting people pass me by that first time around but I knew I would see them again on the second loop and I would be running much faster then they were the first time around. I was so psyched to get to the 2nd loop and step it up. I felt incredibly relaxed, rested and ready to attack. I felt a million times better than last year's sloppy shuffle of 2:17 and change. I vowed not to look at my watch til I was well inside the 1/2 mile mark. At this point I would know if I was going to break the time goal that I actually DID set for myself but never shared with everyone. Secretly, I wanted to break 6:10, gaining a full 17 minutes on last year.

I got within that spot, looked at my watch and teared up. I almost started screaming and jumping up and down but all I could do was run faster. My watch showed something I never dreamed possible. It showed that not only would I break 6:10 but that I would come in under 6 hours... 5 hours, 55 miuntes and 11 seconds to be exact. I shaved off 32 minutes from last year. Holy $&#t! This is exactly what I needed 4 weeks before Ironman. I could not have done this without the incredible coaching from Craig Howie!!! THANK YOU CRAIG!! and thanks to Jess and Petra for always, ALWAYS making me seek the inner peace that truly exists within me. and to Mikey... hehe, love you babe!! Congratulations on your killer race!

9//7 Is going to be an amazing day... the perfect day in fact...where the stars will align, just for me....and no matter what occurs that day, I will have the time of my life.

4 comments:

psg said...

What a killer day!!! I wish I would have been there to see the whole glorious thing unfold. Let's find a time to go celebrate!

Jackie said...

Amazing....a brilliant race you had.....

BJ said...

awesome job...now bottle that up, cork it, and don't open till IMOO!

Deanna said...

I teared up just reading your blog. You are such a studette. I am ecstatic for you! I wish I could have been there. You are going to rock IMOO!