What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, October 19, 2008

26.2 Miles of Sheer FUN!


Ok, so my idea of fun tends to stray from the norm. I enjoy two a day workouts, I don't mind getting up at 4:30am to swim when it's cold AND dark out and I sure as hell LOVE to run a marathon!!!

Today was my 37th stand alone marathon, 38th including Ironman. There seems to be a great debate on whether or not I should count IM marathons in my total. More later.

Today was more than perfect weather and I had the best company along Denver's hilly and very challenging course. I ran with Mike and my pal, Kelly B . Funny, Mike and I first started dating while training for the Chicago Marathon back in 2001 and it was great to be able to run with him again, 7 years later.

I was unsure of how my legs would feel but they felt FANTASTIC just 6 weeks off of Ironman. I was bouncing off the walls, enjoying myself, chatting it up, cheering on Mike and rooting on fellow runners.

I tend to be a very selfish person when it comes to training and my races. I know it bugs Mike sometimes, but it's the only time when I get 100% of me, for me. I spent 26 years of my life avoiding myself and delaying the development of the very person I have become. I know he understands it now but every now and again, he cherishes the moments I let that guard down and share that precious time. I know I need to do it more because it makes him really happy.

We finished in a fabulous 4:22 and change. Kelly B was a superstar as her natural talents got her through this arduous distance as she decided to run it the weekend before. Mike had some IT band issues but pushed through the pain. I am so proud of both of them!! I told Mike that running 26.2 miles isn't easy, ever, and of course there's going to be pain, it's really just how you deal with it. Pain management is key to a successful race.
The photo was taken between miles 18 and 21 by my friends Annie and Chris, who brought along their doggy, Buddy. I was able to see them 3 times around Wash Park and it definitely kept me motivated. We finished with our friends cheering us on at the finish - The St. Georges and The Wilsons. Congrats to Chris and Petra who ran the half and kicked butt!!

I feel great and I can't wait for the next marathon. I definitely love the marathon, outside of Ironman. I found today to be so incredibly easy. Our next race is the Phoenix Rock N Roll marathon in January and you better believe that on that day, I will not have one ounce of energy left when I cross that finish line as I am going to leave it ALL out there in hopes of qualifying for Boston again. That day will 100% be about pain management.

1 comment:

knopfler said...

I want in on the RnR Phoenix in January. Let's talk...