What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, December 22, 2008

Masters Swim Class

So, Mike has been bugging me for weeks now to go to the free masters class offered at our new gym. Tonight, I finally mustered up the courage to go. I am really not sure what I have been so afraid of. I think it's moreso a pride thing - I am a decent runner and rider but swimmer? I guess I literally get blown out of the water. I am slow and careful and according to the Master's coach, 'delicate and dainty.' Haha, that made me laugh. He said I am too cautious and take way too much time in arm recovery. This is true. I have gotten to a point where I am so relaxed in the water for mental reasons, that I simply can't push myself. I cruise along, taking my sweet ol' time. I figure what's the rush? It will be so easy to find my bike when I go this slow. It's usually the only one left in transition!

I started off in Mike's lane but was quickly moved to the "developmental" lane with 3 other girls. They were ok swimmers. I was definitely not happy with all the stopping and hanging out between laps - I haven't ever attended a masters class but I am pretty sure when you are told to swim 200 that means continuous. NOT resting in between each 50. I told Mike how annoyed I was and he told me that I better work hard to get myself out of that lane quickly. I will!

After we finished, I felt good but I have a lot of work to do if I want to shave 20 minutes off my swim come September. I am going to stick with masters and see what happens. One day, I hope to hang with my friends in the water instead of watching them from afar, way in the back... WAY, WAY in the back.

1 comment:

knopfler said...

it gets better... trust me.
from one Master's newbie to another.