What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, May 9, 2009

A whole lot of a lot

After the marathon Sunday, I was feeling pretty depleted both physically and mentally. I put a lot of things into perspective, or tried to at least. I am typically the Queen of Dramatown, population: Me... and I guess I am tired of it and just want to lay down my crown or ditch the tiara, more appropriately. My life tends to be lived on a roller coaster and I have spent the past year trying to get off that damned ride. I am getting there I think...slowly but surely. Everything in my life always seems to be so volatile and dramatic and I have been torturing myself like this for years. One important lesson Ironman has taught me and continues to teach me every day is Balance. This is a concept that I strive so hard to work on. It's not easy. It's actually the hardest thing I have ever had to work on in my entire life. and it comes so easy to some. That baffles me...but what can I say, I am a Scorpio for chrissake. Intensity and extremes are at the very core of my being. *sigh*

Post marathon week does not mean rest. There is no rest in Ironman training, marathon or not. We get one day a week to relax, rest completely before we start it all up again, harder and more intense then the week before. This week was no exception.

Monday -rest day. Thank you geezus.

Tuesday -2300 meter tempo swim. Great swim. Fatigued legs. They hurt like hell. Thankfully, a 9pm massage and it did the trick. Worked out the kinks. ahhh....

Wednesday -20 mile recovery ride. Was supposed to go 22. hell no, no way. That was all I had in me.

Thursday -5 mile tempo run. Was more like a 5 mile slow torturous jog. Not recovered yet. argh.

Friday -30 mile tempo ride. It was windy but a gorgeous day to ride. Followed that up by a 3050 meter endurance swim. It was long but I got it done. Freakin' pooped out.

Today -56 mile endurance ride. Complete and utter torture. It was a junk ride. Just getting the miles under my legs. Thank goodness it's over. I bonked. Not pretty.

Tomorrow, we are supposed to run 8 miles, swim 1350 meters and ride 18 miles. I have no idea what's in store. I am pretty sure one of those workouts are getting dropped, possibly 2. We'll have to see. My poor legs. I ask so much of them. I probably should rest them a little more.

No comments: