What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monday/Tuesday

Monday: Rest. Recover. Refresh. Renew. Re-focus.

Tuesday: 5 mile OD run, 2700m swim

The alarm went off at 5am and I peeked out the window. It was pouring. Ugh. Do I really want to get up and run? And then I thought, YES. It’s been a long time since I have run in the rain. This could be fun. and quite honestly, it was. I was soaked and I was definitely the only runner out there. I sure can HTFU when I want to!

Grey, stormy skies and cool temps did not keep me from heading to our heated outdoor lap pool for tonight’s swim either. It was going to be a 2-a-day-outside-workout-type-of-day despite the weather. It was rather surreal as I was the sole brave swimmer to jump into calm, glass-like water. There was steam rising on top of the water as I headed out for my first lap. It was about 48 degrees outside and the temp of the pool (even though it's supposed to be 84) was somewhere in the 78 degree range. I was breathless at first, as my body tried to make sense of the water and air temperature difference.

I love this photo (it looks like my Dad!!)

I eventually got into a rhythm and it became a very cool (in more ways than one!) experience to swim in those conditions. The skies were black and gloomy and I was just waiting for lightning to strike in the far distance but it never did. I was only able to survive 1700m, as the cooler temps started to affect my fingertips. Ran inside, straight for the hot tub and warmed up. It definitely made jumping into the cooler (76 degrees) indoor pool painful but I sucked it up and finished my workout. And then jumped in the hot tub, again. Life is good, and it just keeps on getting better.

No comments: