What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, June 12, 2009

Preparing for the marathon


This week has been a week like no other when "preparing for a marathon." I explicitly begged my Coach to treat this as a regular Ironman training week, which just so happened to have a marathon fall into it. He did a great job of treating this as "just another week." I am not sure if I should cry or be thankful.

Tuesday - 3 mile OD run with Mike in the wee hours.

Wednesday - 2800 meter swim. Felt incredible. Love tempo swims!

Thursday - 5 mile OD run in the a.m. -felt awesome and ran to a very soothing and mellow Alexi Murdoch /18 mile OD ride in the p.m. Was supposed to be 21 but weather was not as co-operative as I hoped. No worries.

Friday - Today, I rested in true race weekend fashion. Had a great meal. Watched a wonderful movie. Drank some water. Drank some wine. :) Prepared our iPods for Sunday's race. I am ready to have an incredible time. Only preparing 4 hours and 40 minutes of music - so Mike, babe? you need to run your ass off at 8,800 feet!!!! I would love to PR this marathon course. I have run a 4:50, 4:37 and 4:59 in that order. I am D.E.S.P.E.R.A.T.E. to break 4 1/2 hours at this altitude and place in the top 5 of my age group. Am I crazy? YES. But one must be to be an Ironman.

Tomorrow, I am planning on a 3600m endurance swim and a 29m tempo ride. We'll see what happens. I am just sooooo excited for Sunday. I still can't fathom this accomplishment. I get choked up just thinking about it. Surprised? You shouldn't be...if you know me!

No comments: