What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, August 22, 2009

World's biggest brick!

I set out on today's adventure at 6:20am, headed towards Boulder to meet up with my SBF, the Average Skirt. She had a few hours before her first client and opted to get up at the crack of dawn and ride with her very appreciative friend. I am so lucky - who does that?!? Great friends, that's who!

We headed out towards Jess' usual training loops, NCAR, the 75th Street Loop to Jay road etc. It was just so nice to do something different and unknown to me. I consistantly ride the same routes and I really needed this change-up for today's momentous challenge. We got in 40 miles together and it made the morning go by quickly. I rode a little more in Superior before heading home to finish the first "half" of my workout, a 70 mile ride.

Mike and Tim hammered their bike and beat me to "transition" aka the Garage. I was envious of their speed but in the end, it didn't matter because my legs felt incredible as I made my way out on the 17 mile run. I joked earlier that it takes at least 5 miles to feel my running legs beneath me but not today. I felt them immediately and they felt incredible.

I ran the same 6.4 mile loop that I always do and ran the first one in 1:02. What?!? That's under a 10 minute mile pace with 70 miles of riding. Thank you body. The second loop took it's tool on me as the heat spiked well over 90 degrees and my feet really started to bother me. I walked a bit and finished that lap in 1:06. Still, great numbers for me. I ran 3 miles out and back and then came home to get Willow for a 1 mile cool-down.

Despite insane left foot pain which will hopefully be taken care of by the new pair of Nike's I just ordered, my body felt remarkable. The heat was definitely getting to me but I didn't have the luxury of an aid station at every mile with ice and cold water to dump over my head. I can handle the heat under those conditions. I am left with an incredibly delicious taste in my mouth as I head into taper and approach Ironman. There's only one big workout left, the long ride. At this time it's slated as [at least] 120 miles. I am really looking forward to it as Mike and I complete our last big workout together. 21 days until Ironman.

1 comment:

Amy said...

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how sppedy you are! Sounded like a great day.

(And thanks so much for the party Saturday night...it was by far my favorite day all year.)