What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What inspires us...what makes a hero, well, a hero?

On my run this morning, it was dark, quiet and cool. The perfect combination when running without an iPod to really get into my head and "think." My mind tends to wander most aimlessly when I'm running, much less in the water or the bike. Perhaps it's because running has been my companion the longest. We have spent so much time together, running and I, over the past 12 years. I think it's my longest relationship in fact. Anyways, when we're together, we have some really incredible conversations and I discover some pretty amazing things about myself and the world.

Today, we spent the entire time thinking about inspiration. What and who inspires me? What about you? For so long I have looked to my "heroes" for inspiration... Steve Prefontaine, Lance Armstrong, the Marshall Football Team after the crash, Rudy, the 1984 Cubs ... people I will probably never meet and yes, my heroes tend to be athletes. Then I thought, well, I KNOW people that inspire me... a massage therapist, a website designer, a healthy food sales guy, some teachers, a few mothers, a chick in finance, a city planner, etc. - yes, my husband and my friends! They continually strive to be better citizens of the world and never, ever give up. They consistantly challenge themselves and seek more out of life.

Then I started to wonder why do I need to look so far? Isn't there something inside of ME, that inspires ME, that makes ME my own hero? Hell. yes. there. is. For so long I didn't see it. I couldn't. It took me finishing an Ironman for my eyes to open and for me to realize that I am my own hero. For others, I am sure it is far simpler and less strenuous for their realizations to occur. I did something that so few could do. and I am doing it again on Sunday. I will still draw upon the super-athletes and my incredible husband and amazing friends for inspiration and strength. I need them - their support is astonishing! But, when I cross that finish line after 140.6 miles on Sunday, I'll know that the only person who got me to that finish line, that sacrificed hundreds of hours of time, thousands of miles training and ultimately gave me all the pep talks to finish what I started. was. me. and you know what? There is nothing wrong or vain or self-centered about drawing upon your strengths and growing and succeeding from them. Isn't that what we are truly meant to be doing? Look in the mirror. What do you see? An inpsirational hero? You should, because that's what I see. 4 days until Ironman...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Geesh, I'm tearing up over here. Great post. You are an inspiration to far more people than yourself. But being an inspiration TO yourself is just as important. You are going to do amazing.....

(PS- don't forget to buy that energy drink too)

TarynMurtagh said...

Kristina-
I've followed your blog for a long time and always appreciate your genuine, funny and honest perspective, both high and low. You should be proud of yourself and draw from your inspriation this Sunday. Rock it out lady. I'll be following you and Temple!

RunnerChick said...

Yes! That's exactly the kind of self talk you need to do ALL the time. You are amazing! It was so awesome to be out there with you on Sunday! You inspire me!