What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, October 4, 2009

2.2 miles of fighting the urge to quit

Rough swim today. I didn't feel like doing it. at. all. Forced myself to get dressed and leave my cozy, warm house. I got to the gym and it was dead. There wasn't a single soul in either the lap pool or the family pool. Everyone must have been at home watching Sunday football. This really made me want to turn around and go home, change back into my fleece pj's, sit in front of the fireplace, finish reading my book, while drinking yummy coffee. Unfortunately, THAT wasn't what was on my training plan. A 2.5 mile swim was. darn.

I warmed up and hit all of my sets leading up to the main set - 35X50 meters. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to keep track of laps when you're physically and mentally exhausted? I have been asked, how do you keep track? Well, I repeat the number over and over in my head for the entire lap. 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1....2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,....3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 and so on. It's freaking boring and hard and pretty comical.

When I finished with the monstrosity of a main set, my teeth were chattering and so I hopped into the family pool, which is about 10 degrees warmer and finished up my swim. The lap lanes are only 20 yards vs. 25 meters so I had to put in some extra counting. I ended up bailing on the rest of the swim. I just couldn't do it anymore. My arms were so tired as was the rest of me. I hopped into my beloved hot tub and was quite proud of myself for doing as much as I did considering I didn't want to do it at all...

No comments: