What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Heading out.

Well, my triathlon season is ALMOST over. One more race. The Great Floridian. In 2 days. I haven't been nervous all week despite the ever-changing, thunderstorm infested forecast or the fact that we might not be allowed to wear wetsuits. However, at 10:30PM last night when I started doing some research on the Bike Course and a particular road called Sugarloaf Mountain, I started to worry. At about mile 26, there is what is described as a short but steep climb. Short = 1 mile. Steep = 17% grade. I don't think I have ever ridden a road with that grade. I am starting to get nervous. I am anxious to get there so we can drive that part of the course and I will most definitely want to ride my bike up it tomorrow - only that section - to be sure I can do it. I would absolutely die if I had to walk up a hill. I have never ever done that before but there is always a first time for everything.

In the meantime, I am excited to see my family - Bobby and Lorraine, Amy, Nate and my niece Alexis. We all haven't been together since IM Wisconsin 2008. It will be wonderful to celebrate my birthday with them tomorrow. What a spectacular way to celebrate 37 years - family time and an "Ironman." Life doesn't get any better for me...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Happy early Birthday!!!! Can't wait to hear all aobut the race. Good idea riding that part of the course and even riding it. You're going to do great!

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! Have a great race!! You are going to fly right up that steep climb :-)