What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday night

While driving home in a light snowtorm tonight, I was trying to decide what I should do at the gym. Elliptical? Weights? Swim? How about all 3? Sure. That's what I would do. I haven't had a fun-change-it-up kind of workout in awhile.

The elliptical can be amazingly challenging if you do it correctly. 30 minutes of long, leg stretches at a high resistance. My hamstrings were feeling it and I worked up a decent sweat (yuck).

Afterwards, I headed over to the weight room to focus on back and arms. I really want to strengthen my upper body with hopes of a stronger swim stroke. I also have a goal to do 10 pull ups by the end of the year. Right now I can do exactly zero. It's amazing how weak I really am. After about 40 minutes in the meathead lounge (all the big guys were pumping up before their Friday night dates), I went down to the pool.

Feeling a little sore already, I knew the swim would be short. More of a cool-down to loosen up those muscles I just tore. The water was FREEZING and I was the lone swimmer in the pool. After my first 50, I knew that my form was out of whack and that some much needed Eney time is due. After 750 meters, I quickly made my way to the hot tub where I sat quietly for 10 minutes while the troubles, aches and pains of the day faded away. I love Friday night workouts. They are a great way to wind down from the hectic work week and give me some much needed "me time."

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ah, sounded like a great workout. I am so weak too - how is it posslbe from all of the working out we do?