What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Marathon #42 - The Many Thanks Marathon aka Treadmill Torture

Many Thanks Marathon, take 2.  I woke up this morning fully intending to run the marathon that I skipped on Thanksgiving day.  It was dreary outside and I decided to try this thing out indoors.  On a treadmill that is.  I have heard of great athletes running 26.2 miles on the dreaded treadmill - Alan Culpepper, Dean Karnazes, Hillary Biscay.   Of course they all run much faster than I do so I imagine the less time on it, the less torturous.  However, having not exactly trained for this day's event, I was feeling less than confident that I would be breaking 4 hours and 20 minutes. 

I packed up several bottles of gatorade and power gels before heading to the gym.  Mike was going to come meet me during the final hour to offer support and a distraction.  At least I had that to look forward to because for the most part, I wasn't really looking forward to any of it. 

With a fully charged iPod in tow, I began my "race" at approximately 7:45am.  The gym was dead and I had very little to keep my attention occupied.  I picked a spot to the left of all the cardio equipment, not far from the water fountain should I need it.  I definitely stuck out in my lime green tank, black skirt and hot pink knee high compression socks.  Hey, fashion and comfort is incredibly important to this marathoner. 

The first couple of hours flew by suprisingly.  I was having fun twittering and FBng updates on my cell phone and was varying the speed and incline on the treadmill.  I was averaging just over 6mph and the body felt great.  After about 3 hours though, my left foot really started to bother me.  With every foot strike, there was a strong amount of piercing pain. I tried to block it out and keep moving.  I couldn't quit now.  I'd gotten too far to just give up.  I would send positive thoughts and breath to that area in hopes it would eventually go away. 

At hour 4, I had less than 2 miles to go and was completely psyched. I was almost done.  By now, the gym was completely packed with all the gym rats that were scrambling to get in their workouts before rushing home to plop their butts down on the couch to watch football.  It was quite an interesting mix of people that hit the gym on the weekends.  Apart from the winter, I don't spend much time in the gym, especially the cardio room and there seems to be an incredible need for the fashion police!  I saw too much unflattering grey and black cotton. 

Mike was on an elliptical machine behind me and when I hit 26 miles I waved him over so he could cheer me on the final .2.  After I finished, he placed a very special handmade medal around my neck and congratulated me.  I was wiped out.  That was by far the hardest thing I've ever done, mentally.  I was doing this all on my own and I didn't have a thing to prove to anyone but myself.  I am so glad that I did this but it is not something that I will want to or need to do ever again.  It was torturous and mundane and downright boring at times.  However, I proved to myself that I have the mental game to take on any challenge.  I have so much to be thankful for, hence the carefully chosen name of today's "race." and for now, I am very thankful that it's done! (and in 4:15:40 no less!) 

1 comment:

Keri said...

Wow, 26.2 miles on a treadmill! You completely rock!