What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Post-season thoughts and ramblings.

It has been a whole 14 days since my 2009 season has ended. I have had some time to reflect on this year as well as the previous year and have come to some realizations and conclusions that I would love to share.

Breaking down the past 20 months, I have competed in and finished 6 marathons, 2 oly's, 2 half-iron distance tris and 3 Ironmans. Wait. Back it up. I really did all of that in 2008 and 2009? Where was I for all of this? Who made the conscious choice to do this? GOOD GRIEF! What's even more astounding to me is that I completed 3 iron-distance triathlons in 13 months. I have to ask myself, how does my body survive this? My mind is almost always 100% in the game but my muscles? Bones? Joints? I'll tell you what I think the key to my success is - apart from the ridiculous amount of supplements and vitamins I take, it is massage. MASSAGE PEOPLE. Honestly, Magic Hands plays a major role in my ultra-endurance career (in more ways than one)-- Thank you Jess. I heart you! Massage is for everyone. (and she IS taking new patients, don't be lame. CONTACT HER!!!) You don't need to be a runner or triathlete, you just need to want to take care of your body and your mind. I assure you, it's a gift to yourself and one you truly deserve. It's not expensive either as it is an investment in yourself and living a long life.

So, with all that behind me...What now? We all know I work to live so I can't say I am throwing myself into my career. My house has never been cleaner but again, if you know me, you know that's status quo. My girls are getting fierce love and Mike and I surely are able to spend more quality time together. I am taking each day as it comes. I must admit, I started working out again just 3 days after The Great Floridian. I simply love to move. I am not a sedentary person. I go crazy if I am told to relax or sit still. I find my peace, energy and the re-charge that I need in movement. Whether it be running, biking, swimming, lifting weights, anything really. I love to break a 'fake' sweat. (I really don't like sweating though!)

I have already started thinking about 2010. What fun can I get myself into? Lots of it. In January, Twin is coming out from Spokane, WA for a week and she is an ultra-endurance junkie - loves marathons and beyond as much as I do (the marathons part, not the beyond - I stop at 26.2 miles, she ventures to 50 miles +). We are going to organize our own marathon - 26.2 miles of sheer fun, with medals for the finish and everything. Anyone is welcome to join us - it will probably be the first weekend of January. (Side note: She said yes to this once so therefore she has made the committment as far as I'm concerned! haha.) That will kick off my year so I'll start "training" for that in December. I have a few more marathons I'm considering in May. I am signed up for the Boulder Peak and Boulder 70.3 and am very excited about that!

I know I said NO 140.6 next year but come on, you know me. Do you really think that's true? I guess you'll just have to wait and see.... I'll give you one hint. Gulf of Mexico...OH and PR. Ok, one more. Flat. as. a. ??? GUESS!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I would *maybe* like to participate in your 26.2 mile race...if it's free and we can gossip and drink wine afterward. :)