What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, December 14, 2009

my bike ride with Oprah

Most of the time, I watch action and drama shows when I'm riding the trainer and today was no different.  I came across an Oprah show from last week and this particular episode's guests were pulitzer prize winner Nicholas Kristof and his beautiful wife, Sheryl WuDunn.  As I listened to them share the stories of women. NO.  of young girls that were being abused, tortured, raped and killed for simply being female in third world countries, I became physically sick.  I know that genocide occurs and that there are nations of people that are oppressed by their government, but I had no idea the magnitude of the injustices that are being directed towards women specifically. I live in a bubble.  I think we all do to a certain extent. In the USA, we (women) are still struggling for equality and a fair shake in a seemingly "man's world" but we have come so far.  However, it's as if time travels backwards in Africa and Asia.  I am stunned. 

Together, Nicholas and Sheryl wrote a book called Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide and I have to get it.  I need to read it.  I want to help.  I have a wonderful life.  I am blessed and so fortunate being an American woman in the 21st century and it destroys me that things like this occur in the world.  As I make my way closer and closer towards my journey of motherhood (which by the way is at least a year off so don't get your hopes up Mom!) I have become more sensitive to situations such as this.  I want to help.  I have to help.  I want to be part of a movement called The Girl Effect It's powerful.  It's something we can all be a part of.  and it starts with one simple idea. 


3 comments:

KK said...

We were just talking about this and how it exists here domestically (specifically in the case of "Precious"). It is horrifying no matter where or to what extent it exists. That book sounds interesting. Yah, we definitely live in one big bubble
:(.

Go.2.Belle said...

A couple of others to consider.
You know, your nieces fave organization is UNICEF. She wants to run it one day. xo M

http://womenforwomen.org/
https://www.ikat.org/
http://www.penniesforpeace.org/

TarynMurtagh said...

I completely agree about how fortunate we ladies are in the US and how we should work to improve the lives of girls and women elsewhere. I'd love to channel run and triathlon fees to the organizations that support, educate and feed women AND/OR promote organizations via gear, marketing, etc. Maybe your local, fun marathon idea can benefit female athletes in third world countries? I'd be more than happy to help. I'm just babbling now, but man, we need to change things! I often feel so guilty spending the dollars on my selfish needs when others need it to survive and thrive.