What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Surgery


I absolutely hate surgery.  On me, on my friends, on my dogs and most of all on Mike.  However, the day has come where his right knee has said enough already! and he has to head back into the operating room if he wants to continue his passion for ultra-endurance triathlon.  I do believe this will be his 4th surgery on his knees, with 2 prior ACL reconstructions and a scope.  Today's procedure should be fairly straight-forward and simple, providing the MRI told the surgeon the truth of what really is occurring in his kneecap.  For months, Mike has practiced very conservative therapies and course of treatments without much success, so this surgery was his last resort.  I know he is going to bounce back quickly as he is more determined than ever to run again.  It has been almost 3 months and his desire grows deeper each day to be able to join me for a casual 5k or a steady 10 miler.  As with anything, time heals all wounds and I am confident he will be even stronger when he is able to return to the sport he loves so much.

1 comment:

KK said...

Wow, sounds like Mike has been through a lot with this. It is so frustrating when you feel like you are doing everything in your power to fix something and it isn't getting fixed. I hope this surgery does the trick and that he is back on his feet soon. Good luck today!!!