What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Finding some speed.



Speedwork.  Ahhh, there just isn't anything quite like it.  You are forced to run way beyond your means for periods of time that in a span of a lifetime are miniscule, but in the moment, go on forever....  Tonight?  3 X 1 mile repeats with 1/4 mile recovery in between.  Target pace:  7:47 per mile. 

I warmed up for a mile and found the strongest, fastest, craziest song I could listen to until I pumped the treadmill speed all the way up to 7.7mph.  I settled in as quickly as I could to the stride and just kept moving. Turning the feet as quickly as I could. I forgot my HR monitor but I was definitely in high z4.  7 minutes and 47 seconds later, I slowed to down to a whopping 5.6 as I recovered and my HR lowered.  Crap.  2 more of these. 

I am not sure how I did, but I did it.  I didn't have to slow down my speed during the mile repeats.  Miracle.  I dug deep.  I held on for dear life.  I embraced the challenge.  I succeeded.  2010 is about setting goals and achieving them.  The year is off to a great start. 

After the torture treadmill session, I headed over to the weight room and worked on my upper body.  I am loving this added weight training to my training.  I know it will fade quickly once Ironman training starts but for now, I will do it as much as I can.  Next week's speedwork?  12 X 1/4 mile repeats at about a 7:30 pace.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No comments: