What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, January 11, 2010

You just know.

Have you ever met someone that from the moment she (or he) smiled, you knew you would be incredible friends? You knew you could spend a lifetime making memories and even longer talking about them. You could laugh, cry, drink, take a digger, burp, scream or fart in front of them and know not only that they would not judge you, but in fact they would join you. And it’s a very different relationship than with your loved one. My husband is my best friend, the love of my life. I am 100% myself in front of him (much to his chagrin at times, I am certain of that!) But the connection you make with a girlfriend that exceeds the general pleasantries and discussion of what happened on Grey’s last week, well, that’s priceless. Especially in this day and age when technology makes it all too convenient for you to be “friends” with individuals you have never even met.

Three years ago (I think it was 3, hmm, was it? or just 2? eeks!), at the start of the Phoenix RNR marathon, I walked up to a cute, smiley brunette and said “hi.” It was that simple. And then I just knew. We would be best of friends. Despite the fact that we wouldn’t even run together that day. Or reside in the same state. I handed her one of my Skirt Ambassador cards that had my email scribbled on it and amidst the chaos of the day, she hung onto it. And even more importantly, she emailed me later that week. And the rest is history…


Meet my twin, Dee from a tiny little town in the state of Washington. We don’t look alike, or sound alike, or even have similar backgrounds. But we shared the common ground of endurance running, which led us to discover our mutual love of red wine, romantic endings, music, laughing til we cry, hair care tools and products, ideals and expectations of others. She’s an amazing person and visited this weekend. I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun and I am sad that we don’t live closer. However, with earlier said technology, we are able to stay active and involved in each other’s lives. We also will be running the Los Angeles marathon together in March, celebrating the thing that made us meet in the first place, 26.2 miles. We have a tendency (or bad habit, not sure which) to urge each other on into going farther, faster and more frequently (within 6 weeks I completed 2 Iron-distance triathlons and a marathon – she made me believe I could do it, and I did! I found her a 100 mile running race here in Boulder this fall, and she’s going to do it!) We’re endurance junkies. It drives Mike nuts that I have a partner in crime. He thinks I am obsessive with all that I want to do race-wise as it is. She fuels my fire. And vice-versa. I need someone to validate my insanity. That someone is Dee. Thank you friend for everything you have given me and I look forward to our next weekend adventure in So Cal. It’s going to be such a blast! How do I know? Because I. just. know.


1 comment:

Deanna said...

You are such an amazing woman and special friend! I thank God everyday that you're in my life. I LOVE & MISS YOU TWIN! xoxoxoxoxo

Insanity and beyond....