What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, February 13, 2010

20 big ones.

Another Saturday, another long run.  Admittedly, I am still exhausted from this week's training and boy, did I dig deep this morning to get the job done.  Realistic goal #1 - to run a sub 9:15 pace.  Semi-realistic goal #2 - go sub 9's.  for 20 miles.  on a training run?  Shit, this has never been done before. Well, not by me that is... When I was training for my last L.A. Marathon in 2008, I had just begun blogging and I wrote about my last 20 mile run before the marathon.  It was an incredibly emotional time for me, having suffered the loss of my best pal, Josey.  I finished that run in 3:15:06, with a lot of tears shed.  That was 8 marathons ago.  So much has changed in 2 years.  so hard to believe.  Although, the sadness still sits in my heart, my life is good.  Really, really good.  and this morning's long run?  It was hard.  Really, really hard!

I was not feeling any lightness in my legs.  They were heavy.  Like little concrete stumps.  I knew within 10 minutes that this was going to be a loooooong morning and I would have to find the strength to not only continue on at a pace that I was clearly uncomfortable with, but to f-i-n-i-s-h.  Because, yes, I actually thought about stopping after the first hour.  Maybe I can try this again tomorrow?  I thought.  Um.  yeeeeaaaah, I don't think so.  Get it over with I thought.  HAVE FUN, I told myself.  I was being my own cheerleader.  Did I mention I was a crappy gradeschool cheerleader?  Go Chargers. 

It was overcast, rather grayish skies.  That's how I felt on the inside. This could be race morning though. SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!  All I could think about was emailing Jess and getting all of my massages scheduled before L.A. and then even after, the post race massage...ahhh, massage  Focus, K, focus!  and this is how it went...

Mile 1 8:57
Mile 2 8:59
Mile 3 9:03
Mile 4 8:59
Mile 5 9:00
Mile 6 8:56
Mile 7 9:00
Mile 8 8:55
Mile 9 9:08
Mile 10 9:12
Mile 11 8:56
Mile 12 8:56
Mile 13 8:58
Mile 14 8:59
Mile 15 8:54
Mile 16 8:54
Mile 17 8:52
Mile 18 8:57
Mile 19 9:02
Mile 20 8:47

Average pace 8:58 and I finished in 2:59:21.  I broke 3 hours. f**K.  Oh my gosh, did I need this run!  It was hard and I was faced with some serious challenges, physically and mentally.  I kept my head in the game though and I took it one mile at a time, literally.  The fact that I was able to run my fastest mile at the end only proves to me that all of the sacrifices I am making are worth it. 

2 comments:

Christi said...

Just found your blog and I really like it so far. Great long run and I wish you luck for your marathon!

TarynMurtagh said...

You are doing it, lovely lady! You should be extremely proud of these amazing efforts each and every day. Keep on truckin'!