What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, February 12, 2010

In the spirit of the "Marathon"

As March 21st [quickly] approaches, I have begun thinking about the marathon distance itself.  Up until now, I have been thnking about it in fragments... a 3 mile tempo run or a quarter mile repeat or a 17 mile long run.  But at some point, I have to put all those pieces together to make up the whole distance...26.2 miles. My favorite running distance of all.  Despite having already run this distance 42 times, I still get anxious and nervous about the next race.  If there ever comes a time where I am not giddy with excitement, I will know that it is time to end the marathon madness.  Until then, I will continue to pursuse this passion and find motivation and joy in it.  I have compiled some incredible running quotes for inspiration for myself and wanted to share...enjoy.   
Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when awareness comes, it is excruciating.
-John Farrington, Australian marathoner

Anyone can run 20 miles. It's the next six that count.
-Barry Magee, marathon bronze in Rome, 1960

A marathon is like life with its ups and downs, but once you've done it you feel that you can do anything.
-unknown

Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder.
-William Sigei

When people ask me why I run, I tell them, there's not really a reason, it's just the adrenalin when you start, and the feeling when you cross that finish line, and know that you are a winner no matter what place you got.
-Courtney Parsons

My greatest ideas stem from running.
-Sasha Azevedo

People ask why I run. I say, "If you have to ask, you will never understand". It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels.
-Erin Leonard

To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who's never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind.
-Jerome Drayton

I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart.
-Mike Fanelli, running club coach

1 comment:

Aldi26 said...

I'm trying to figure out how that first quote is supposed to motivate you to want to run a marathon?