What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, February 5, 2010

This week.

Week 1 of a fairly tough new core workout program and today's 'day of rest' was incredibly needed.  Wow.  After last week's long run, I took it easy on Sunday in the gym - to tell you the truth, I don't even remember what I did because all I can think about is what I DID do Monday through Thursday. 

Monday...45 minutes on the elliptical (easy) and my first upper body core circuit (hard).  I was supposed to do 3-5 sets of each and I can assure you that I could only do 3. holy hell!

  • 60 sec plank on bosu
  • 25 regular pushs on bosu
  • 12-20 assisted pull ups
  • 12-20 assisted dips
  • 25 tricep dips of bench with feet on a swiss ball
  • 60 sec med ball toss(grap a 10lb ball throw it on the ground as hard and as fast as you can for 60 seconds)
  • 60 sec med ball drill(push up position,toss the ball back and forth between your hands for 60 sec without knees touching ground)
  • 25 hanging leg raises(abs)

Tuesday...5 mile tempo run at 7.0mph.  I have been opting to do all my tempo runs and speedwork on the treadmill right now because I don't want to risk injury running in the dark at night.  It's still a bit chilly here and there are definitely icy patches around the neighborhood.  Plus, I like the control the treadmill has on my speed.  Afterwards, I did legs - I have my own circuit that I do, covering my quads, hamstrings, glutes, and inner/outer thighs.  I do 3 sets of 25 and I the weight is low enough that I can get through it all but hard enough that I really am pushing myself at the end.

Wednesday...repeat of Monday and I was so sore.  DOMS had set in, big time.  (delayed onset muscle soreness) UGH

Thursday...speedwork - six 1/2 mile repeats starting at 7.4 going up to 7.8, then repeating with 1/10th mile recovery.  I felt suprisingly good considering how sore I was.  I am getting used to the higher cadence and really focus on turning over the legs from the hips.  That's been my new focus this season - running from the hips, rather than my legs.  I feel really good and am starting to get comfortable being "uncomfortable." Afterwards, another round of leg weights.  I had plyometrics scheduled in for this week but I was too tired? sore? lazy?  to do them but will definitely incorporate that into next week's regimen. 

Friday... REST.  I have come to appreciate this day of doing nothing moreso than ever before.  I really applied myself this week and 'left it all out there' so to speak... I had forgotten how much fun training in the gym could be. After each workout, I am able to head over to the designated stretching area and it's great because they have all sorts of equipment to help me do the thing I now hate more than speedwork - stretch.  I think it's just that I am lazy and don't consider stretching part of training but I need to change that mentality as it's essential to my success in racing.

I am super excited for tomorrow's long run.  15 miles. I absolutely love that distance!

No comments: