What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Starting to wrap it up.

My final long run before Los Angeles.  15 miles.  A good distance.  A fun distance.  and today?  A fast distance (for me).  Despite the fact that I only need to train at a  9:30 pace for my long runs, I am compelled to run them faster and each week it's getting a little easier to do just that.  Another gorgeous Colorado crisp morning.  and another killer long run. 

I think I headed out with a main objective to hit all 15 miles at a 9:00 minute (or better) pace.  As I knocked off the miles, I kept the pace at just under 9:00s and then it became my sole mission to run ALL 15 miles under a 9:00 minute pace...

Mile 1 - 8:49
Mile 2 - 8:48
Mile 3 - 8:56
Mile 4 - 8:54
Mile 5 - 8:55
Mile 6 - 8:52
Mile 7 - 8:59
Mile 8 - 8:51
Mile 9 - 8:57
Mile 10 - 8:55
Mile 11 - 8:48
Mile 12 - 8:46
Mile 13 - 8:56
Mile 14 - 8:56
Mile 15 - 8:44 - my fastest mile!

I finished in 2:13:13 and my legs were destroyed but I was super happy with that effort.  Thankfully I have a massage in a few days!  Well, this officially wraps up my the last of my long runs as I finish up week 13 of training.  Next week's "long run" is 10 miles which I have to be honest, is hardly long to me but it will at least leave me with the feeling that I am actually doing something as I really start to rest for the final days before the marathon.   Taper tends to screw with your mind a bit. 

A year ago, there is no way that I could have put down these kinds of times during my long runs.  It's funny how a little confidence and true dedication to the training plan can really bring out the best in you.  I used to tell everyone, I'm slow...I can never get faster.  What a bunch of bullshit.  Never set yourself up for failure or sell yourself short.  We all have the ability for greatness within us.  Sometimes you recognize it sooner rather than later...like I've always said, I am a late bloomer!


2 comments:

KK said...

Congrats miss speedy mcspeederston! Your commitment and dedication in the past few months have paved the way for the race of a lifetime-can't wait to hear all about it.

Christi said...

I love your last paragraph! I used to say that I am slow also but I decided I better change that view. My times are dropping and I feel great. Thanks for reminding me to be in the right frame of mind!