What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Monday, March 1, 2010

Tempo run

March 1st. Work was kind of crappy today and I have been more irritable and lacking patience lately.  I am sure many things are contributing to my work moodiness.  Perhaps I need a vacation.  Thankfully, Mike and I have one planned for our anniversary at the end of April.  I can't wait!  We haven't taken a NON-RACE destination vacation in years...since, well, our honeymoon in 2002.  Such a shame, I know.

By the end of the day, I was very unenthused about working out, let alone running.  I have my lactate threshhold test Wednesday and was going to use that as my speedwork day.  So, to avoid the back to back run days, I opted to do my 4 mile tempo run tonight.  Again, NOT in the mood to workout but I begrdudingly changed into my running clothes.  Maybe that would get me jazzed...um.  nope.  Grabbed my Garmin, iPod and running shoes and went into the garage.  Ok, now maybe I would feel more excited??  still waiting.  *sigh*  Ok, this was going to be tough.  Sometimes, the mental training is more important than the physical.  Goal pace was 8:15.  I have never, ever run this fast outside.  Shit.  Lots going against me tonight. 

Somehow I pushed through all the mental noise and started pounding the pavement.  I couldn't hear my heavy breathing but I knew I was panting. like a dog chasing a squirrel.  in florida.  in august.  Mile 1 - 8:03.  Ooh.  That's exciting and completely unexpected. and hard.  Mile 2 - let's try and step it up, I mean, come on.  Fight. panting harder. burning sets in to my legs.  7:42.  holy shit.  no way.  NO WAY.  The mood is changing.  more positive.  run harder.  keep at it.  hang in there!  Mile 3 - my chest is pounding.  my throat is killing me. am i having a heart attack?? (as I clutch my shirt) 7:52 seriously?!?  two sub-8 minute miles, back to back?!  Alright, I have set a precendent.  Start hauling ass and try to push through the ridiculous burn in my quads that is weighing them down [read: LEAD WEIGHTS].  Mile 4 -  stunned.  grinning, ear to ear.  7:44.  My best 4 mile run, ever.   averaging a 7:52 pace...Although it was the fastest tempo run I have ever done, it was as if time stood still and I was out there suffering for an eternity. I never thought it would be over. 

So, I know this is fast for me but when you live just a  mere 10 miles from the elite athlete epicenter of the world, well, I still feel like a slow-poke.  However, the girl who hates speedwork is starting to change her mind about, well, speedwork. 

2 comments:

Christi said...

Congrats to you!!!! I am so excited for you. I would love to have solid 9 min miles and to think of below 8 min miles that seems unbelievable! Thanks for insipiring me!

Keri said...

I love it, panting like a dog chasing a squirrel in Florida, in August!