What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Recovering.

After L.A., I took some serious time off from running.  The main goal over the past 2 weeks was to figure out what was wrong with my foot and fix it.  After a lengthy discussion with my massage therapist, she came to the conclusion that it was NOT a stress-fracture but a compressed nerve aka pinched nerve.  I did some more research on it and it all made sense.  My foot needed some serious tlc.  Ice, heat, ice. Rubz ball 2-3 times a day.  Massaging it out myself.  At home e-stim. Ditched all my flip-flops (they're the devil to your plantar fascia!!) But I was not prepared for the bloody-paw-power-hour with Magic Hands yesterday.  Wow. I have never felt so much pain in my entire life as she worked the hell out of my foot. for one. solid. hour. She really opened it up though and afterwards, I could actually spread my toes. (something I could not do before) I was also advised to try a new running shoe - the Brooks Ravenna -offering mild support as opposed to the completely neutral cushioning of the Nike's.  What better way to test out yesterday's treatment and my new kicks than with an Easter run, right?

I took each step cautiously, painfully aware that at any moment, the numbness and tingling could creep into my left foot and paralyze my hopes.  3 miles,  nothing.  6 miles, nothing.  12 miles, nothing.  20 miles, nothing.  NO PAIN FOR 20 MILES!!  I was overjoyed with realizing that I did all the right things to treat my injury and will continue to follow the same self-care regimen as to never have this problem again. The run was slow but it didn't matter.  I am back.

2 comments:

Christi said...

Congrats! I am so glad that you were able to self-treat your injury and now run again!

Keri said...

So glad it is better! I am even more impressed that you just whipped out 20 miles a few weeks after your marathon after taking time off. You are my hero!