What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Friday, April 16, 2010

Time to be shocked.

Guess what I did tonight?  Ehh!  (buzzer indicating wrong answer) I did not ride.  I swam!  I wasn't too thrilled about it to begin with because I spent the day fighting mother nature's attack on my allergies.  The pollen count is out of control this spring and I am a huge sufferer because of it.  I am taking zyrtec, singulair and have had to add sudafed just to keep up.  So as you can imagine, the thought of stuffing up my nose even more with chlorinated water was less than desirable.  But somehow I managed to drag my sorry allergy-ass to the pool. 

I tried something different though - I had complained earlier in the week to my Coach about how I hate getting into such cold water.  He said that sometimes he runs really hard for 1 mile beforehand, really heating himself up so that the shock of the cold water is more of a welcoming feeling.  Well, I thought of something even easier (and lazier) to do before getting in. I sat in the blazing hot sauna for 5 minutes.  and guess what?  It worked!  Gosh, I love shortcuts! 

Thankfully I hadn't forgotten how to swim and got through my 1750 meter tempo swim just fine.  I was extremely tired but a good tired.  I worked hard and despite some breathing troubles because of my allergies, I worked around it and finished up strong.  I am actually a little excited to get in the water again - tomorrow or Sunday.  Maybe both.  Let's see how crazy I'm feeling...or maybe it's just all the drugs talking... 

2 comments:

Christi said...

Great job on the swim! Your shortcut was a great idea. I think I will try that sometime. I usually try the hot tub.

KK said...

LOL shortcuts. nice work! now keep getting your lazy-allergy ridden bones to the pool, would ya? This Ironman isn't going to do itself! :)