What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Colfax Marathon #45

Another solid night of sleep.  5 hours.  *sarcasm* I didn't get to bed last night until 11pm because I am working on my marathon scrapbook.  I have managed to keep every single race bib number and get some sort of photo taken of me at each event.  For a long time, those bib numbers sat in a shoebox, safety pins still intact.  and then I was bit by the scrapbook bug.  The album is nothing fancy but I am really excited to one day show my daughter what my life was like before she was born.  (yes.  I will have a girl.  Just think pink for me, wouldja?)

4am.  bzzzz.  I'm up!  and ready.  Piece of cake.  I got to sleep in 1 whole hour later that last week AND my in own bed.  That's what I call livin' the dream!  Of course I was hurrying Mike along to be sure we got out the door at 4:55am so we could pick up our buddy, Tim -the world's coolest Mizuno rep.  Why was I so freaking nervous?!  I have done this so many times.  But still, I was.  I couldn't "take care of biz" and so I would have to sacrifice sanitation and go in a port-a-potty.  GROSS!  I tell you, there is nothing more disgusting than the smell of one of those things before a race.  UGH!  At any rate, I had huge success before the race and was so relieved.  Literally and figuratively.  (sorry to be descriptive but if you race, you know what I mean!) I was ready to go. 

Race strategy = run by heart rate.  Just like last week.  See where the wind takes me so to speak...and off we went. 

It's a classic hilly course.  My favorite kind.  Lots of uphill for long stretches. Lots of dowhnill for long stretches.  About mile 8, I really felt my adductors.  They were very gracious in letting me know they existed.  I shortened my stride and felt immediate relief.  Crap.  Now I have to look like I'm running in a stolen-pair-of-K-Mart-rubber-banded-together-shoes.  Oh well.  A girl's gotta go do, what a girl's gotta do. 

Hit 13.1 in 1:57:03.  Nice pace....8:56.  This could work.  I could break 4 hours.  Oh, did I tell you?  My goal was to break 4 hours. 

Just kept at it.  I let my mind wander.  Thought about some wonderful things in my life...my husband, my dogs, my friends, my family.  I was picking off the miles.  It was going really well - I was blocking out the pain.  It was just temporary, right?  I tried to not check on my pace and look strictly at my heart rate, keeping it at top of z3/low z4.  It was working.  I was staying 10-13 beats lower than my lactate threshhold - I did not want to hit the wall. 

At about mile 24 1/2, the Costello sister's came rolling up the street with huge smiles and big attitude in tow.  I was so happy to see them!  Stop talking they balked.  Focus.  Don't be a wuss.  Run faster.  Cadence, cadence, cadence.  You have a choice.  Stay in the moment.  Every ounce of encouragement in them was hurled at me.  I welcomed it.  I perked up.  I got a little faster.  There was some spring in my step again.  And the next thing you know, I hit mile 26.  "You know what to do", I told myself.  And off I went.  As. fast. as. I. could. go. 

3:54:44
Average pace 8:57
Overall 162/604
Division Place 16/81
Sex Place 34/226
A course PR by 23 minutes. 
My splits were dead even.  1:57:03 for the first half, 1:57:41 for the second.  Are you kidding me?  I could not have executed my race plan more perfectly.  I feel like I have gotten to the point that I can finally set out to do something and achieve my desired end results..."For every disciplined effort there is a multiple reward" ~ Jim Rohn

Happy 45 time marathoner

4 comments:

Mike said...

um I was ready...nice race babe! solid as a rock!

Christi said...

Congratulations on a perfect race! You did a great job and I am totally impressed. I can't believe that you have done 45 marathons. That is incredible!

Now rest up and have a great week! You deserve it!

Jen said...

What a great race...fantastic splits. You are a wonderful inspiration!

Keri said...

You look so cute! You are such a rock star!