What the hell is Ditch the Tiara?

Redefining the word beautiful...one dirty, sweaty, bruised up mile at a time, with a few downward dogs along the way...

Saturday, June 19, 2010

bRicKaLiCiOUs!

Big ride this morning (not long, but pretty eventful).  I was up early, just before 5am I think and I got my bike stuff ready.  I was taking Veruca for a spin outside.  Finally.  I know I ride the trainer a lot but that is mostly just to keep myself in aero position for ungodly amounts of time.  Florida is going to be ridiculous with no reason whatsoever to get out of the saddle OR sit up on my bike so I really need to get used to that feeling.  Unfortunately, hills in Colorado are unavoidable and today I was hoping to do lots of them. 

I was out the door by 6:20am and it was a gorgeous morning.  In the 60s and overcast.  Simply perfect riding weather.  As I made my way towards Boulder, the infamous Saturday morning hot air ballons were scattered across the sky like stars.  I love riding under them.  They were a nice distraction to what I was getting ready to do.  I had an Olde friend to meet at the base of Lee Hill Drive.  We had a LOT to catch up on since I hadn't seen this friend since last July, I think it was.  I will be visiting said friend again in about 3 weeks and wanted to be sure there were no surprises.  As I made my way up the infamous Olde Stage road, I could hear my heart beating out of my chest as I pushed to stay above 5mph.  Everything was burning...my lungs, my legs, my feet but no matter as I smiled and encouraged other riders I passed.  Yes, I passed people.  It is a great feeling to pass older guys and younger girls up that hill I tell you.  I got to the top, turned around and did it again.  And again.  And again... until I had ridden up and down it 6 times.  It definitely got easier each time and then I was ready to head home.  54 miles.

I missed my chance at my long run on Thursday and so I opted for a brick today.  I am way ahead of where I should be but I can't help it, I like to suffer?  The weather was still "perfect" and with happy feet and mellow tunes, I headed out for 9 miles.  I was pretty tired and had a tough time struggling to keep the pace at 9:30 but I didn't care.  I was happy in my little bubble of brickiness.  I grabbed Luna for a mile of the run and Willow for two.  They were pooped.  and so was I.  big time.  Now, I am off to acupuncture and then a wedding reception.  I know I should be tired but I am pretty motivated.  One day I am sure I will just crash with all that I do within 1 day but until then, I'll keep looking back at that dinosaur... 

1 comment:

Christi said...

That sounds like a great ride! Keep up the great training!